• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor advice for indoor growing?

I have to agree with wordwiz on starting now and worry about the indoor lights in a couple of months. And as far as the soil temps having to be in the 90's all the time for the Bhut's to be hot I do not think there are many here that have that luxury. I'm guessing that most of us are lucky to have are soils at a constant upper 70's. as for the answering of your question about indoor growing lights, I have'nt a clue, I just grow mine inside for the purpose of transplanting outside in the spring. To get them started a cheap 4' fluorescent shop light with the cheapest bulbs you can find will get your seedlings ready for spring. If you get 2 fixtures you may even get enough heat from them to keep them warm enough in the basement.

Dale

Txclosetgrower said:
Probably. But regardless, there is no incandescent light on the market suitable for growing plants. Not to mention the fact that a 42watt CFL puts out the same amount of light as a 200watt incandescent. And lasts longer. And really isn't that exepensive And comes in both blue(6500k) and red(2700K). ;)

One question about the CFL bulbs...when choosing a lamp for a fixture that indicates a maximum wattage allowable, is it the smaller wattage that you look at or the larger...in other words, in the example above would you be able to use that bulb in a lmap that allows say a 60 watt...or would you have to look for a lamp that can handle the 200 watt incandescant max? I've been wondering this for a long time.

Thanks. Interesting thread. I'm at the same junction...and here in Winnipeg, with temps down to -50 (!!!) Not exactly Pepper Heaven, I guess. It's indoors to start or nothing.

Thanks again.

PrairieChilihead said:
One question about the CFL bulbs...when choosing a lamp for a fixture that indicates a maximum wattage allowable, is it the smaller wattage that you look at or the larger...in other words, in the example above would you be able to use that bulb in a lmap that allows say a 60 watt...or would you have to look for a lamp that can handle the 200 watt incandescant max? I've been wondering this for a long time.

Thanks. Interesting thread. I'm at the same junction...and here in Winnipeg, with temps down to -50 (!!!) Not exactly Pepper Heaven, I guess. It's indoors to start or nothing.

Thanks again.

The rating for the fixture tells how many watts it's specified to handle. This relates to heat, wire gauge and such. This means that you look at the lowest number on the CFL, because that is the actual power consumption. The larger number is just an indication of how big an incandescant needs to be to output the same amount of light.

What BI said...

I agree with wordwiz and the podpiper, raise them inside then move them outside once night time temps are above 55 degrees. In these cold states peppers need to be babied inside but once they go out they really show you what they can do. You're going to be surprised.

I just re-read the title of this thread...

my "advice on growing indoors" is DON'T START...IT IS ADDICTING AND YOU WILL RUN OUT OF ROOM WHEN YOU GET THOUSANDS OF PLANTS (J/K)

I successfully germinated a few seeds, I have some sprouts now that are looking pretty healthy. I have been keeping them warm in their tiny Jiffy brand greenhouse by placing them under a warm lamp. I tried moving them to a box I made with a bright CFL operating at 2800 lumens and 6500k (blue). About an hour later all the little sprouts were wilting. I moved them back to the heat lamp and the jumped right back. I noticed that the CFL is not nearly as warm, and does not generate much heat at all. Room temperature is about 68 degrees here... is that too cold? I am just trying to figure out what caused such a dramatic turn for the worse..light, heat, shock... any thoughts would be appreciated.

At a guess I would say heat. Put a thermometer at soil level in the box and see how hot it is getting.

Pam said:
At a guess I would say heat. Put a thermometer at soil level in the box and see how hot it is getting.

I don't have a thermometer that small, but I appreciate you adding some credence to my suspicion.

Back