• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Advice for this years grow list

Hi everyone,
I am seeking some advice for this years grow list as i would like to try and make a little money to offset the costs of my growing obsession this year. We have a local farmers market that i am getting involved in and need some imput as to what YOU as a consumer might like to see for sale. I'm really looking to grow more unique style peppers rather than the usual bells. I've got superhot and hots covered, i'm not really versed in the peppers used for stuffing, salsa, etc....obviously i am doing jalapeno, serrano, etc.... But what are some interesting milder stuff to grow?

weird shaped peppers might be attractive (like bishop's crown)
maybe some citrus taste peper (Aji Lemon )

Classic: Cayenne, Hab, cherry bomb type, fresno

ancho, poblano type that are well used in recipe but sometime not sold at supermarket

Just my 2 cents!

Poblano, Negro, Guajillo.

I always grow poblanos, but if my farmers market sold ripe, red ones I'd be pumped.

i sell at farmer's markets (and to restaurants) for a living. pepper sales at the market account for a small portion of the overall as they are not a heavily desired item such as tomatoes, berries, or sweet corn nor are they a "high dollar" item like microgreens, that being said, they do serve a great purpose in drawing people in to look at them/talk about them,

this year my setup at market generally included the following peppers roughly in order of sales (keep in mind no 2 markets are the same):
sweet italians
jalapenos
sweet bananas
anaheims
superhots (novelty item primarily- if you grow them for market make sure you grow whatever is currently "the hottest"- it will outsell the other superots put together)
habaneros
datils (sell because i tell people they taste the best)
serranos
poblano
cayenne

i will go back to carrying some bells next year although i personally find them useless and will add at least one more sweet variety, probably jimmy nardello.

Last year for the first time I sold pepper plants from a small stall outside my local pub. I was suprised that the mild peppers sold out first but I guess that that was because you've got a bigger audience because not everyone likes hot chillies but everyone would eat a mild one. The most popular were the sweet banana peppers because I think people just like the idea of it. Having a written description available was also a good selling point I think. Good luck! :cool:

By the way POTAWIE, love the picture. What ARE you doing?

Besides the staples (Jalapenos, Serranos, Bananas, cayennes(or De Arbol), Habaneros), I recommend Datils, Fish, True Scotch bonnets, and maybe a baccatum and Tabascos

Last year for the first time I sold pepper plants from a small stall outside my local pub. I was suprised that the mild peppers sold out first but I guess that that was because you've got a bigger audience because not everyone likes hot chillies but everyone would eat a mild one. The most popular were the sweet banana peppers because I think people just like the idea of it. Having a written description available was also a good selling point I think. Good luck! :cool:

By the way POTAWIE, love the picture. What ARE you doing?

Hey Adam,

I was just about to write the sugar or sweet banana pepper,until I read your post....good choice. Another good one in the Ancient Sweet, its a heavy producer and ripens red fairly quick. I too find its easier to sell the medium and mild tasting varieties.

I sell plants at a couple garden shows in the springtime. My pepper plants are good size some people think they're
shrubs.....ha....whatever they what to call them as long as they purchase. Super-hots didn't fly like I thought. The sweets sold out and so did the Tomatoes. This year I'm planting more Nu-mex "horn" style chili's and some variety colors of the blocky bell types. I'm also considering on having a plant sale at my home in May. weather permitting....... :)
Seems like a long ways away.......but the seeds are getting planted thru the next few weeks.
Good luck,

Greg

Hey Adam,

I was just about to write the sugar or sweet banana pepper,until I read your post....good choice. Another good one in the Ancient Sweet, its a heavy producer and ripens red fairly quick. I too find its easier to sell the medium and mild tasting varieties.

I sell plants at a couple garden shows in the springtime. My pepper plants are good size some people think they're
shrubs.....ha....whatever they what to call them as long as they purchase. Super-hots didn't fly like I thought. The sweets sold out and so did the Tomatoes. This year I'm planting more Nu-mex "horn" style chili's and some variety colors of the blocky bell types. I'm also considering on having a plant sale at my home in May. weather permitting....... :)
Seems like a long ways away.......but the seeds are getting planted thru the next few weeks.
Good luck,

Greg

Thanks Greg thats interesting

I think the casual pepper plant grower is going to buy a plant that is going to give them something at the end of it that they can eat, which may explain why the super hots sold slowly.

Spanish 'Padron' peppers were another popular one because they are easy to grow and are unusual in the way they are flash fried and eaten with just sea salt. In my case the written description being available definately helped as the stall was unmanned and run on an honesty box system (i only lost a few plants which was less than I expected)

Keep growin'

Adam

You should grow the following baccatums everyone likes them around here
pimenta cambuci (baccatum)
aji cristal (c baccatum)
aji benito (c baccatum)

I would also grow some paprika Peppers like alma paprika or feher ozon

Back