• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Advice on growing superhots

Hi everyone. I have a couple of questions if you dont mind. I tried to do a search on this info, but my questions are kind of general so its hard to do a proper search, but i will keep trying. meanwhile if you dont mind... heeheheh lol

1) I want to grow some Hot/SuperHot peppers this year, but I would like to grow some that have also a flavor other then heat to them. For example, the Datil i started to grow, to me its pure pleasure the flavor that accompanies the heat. I cant think of a pepper i enjoy eating more then it right now. On the other hand i read here that 7 Pod can be very plastic feeling and a couple mentioned that it is actually not that great tasting other then heat, i believe one person mentioned that there was so much capsacin that it tasted like battery acid.... So on that note, what Superhots do you recommend? Fatali, Choclate Bhut, some habenero strain or Scorpions??? I am open to any suggestions

2) I live in Orlando on a zero lot home :( so space is limited. How concerned do i need to be with crossover if i try to grow a few different peppers? How much space should i give them to try to keep the seeds pure? Most agricultural websites i read recommended 500 yard apart :rofl: :rofl: Right now i just cant afford that :beer: so how do any of you with small area go about growing different hots/superhots and keeping them pure?

Thanks and i hope you dont mind the newbie question :dance: :dance: :dance:

Gabe

There's a bit of effort involved in separating your plants. for your first grow year i would not bother. but if your still keen Below is a link to a thread of someone on here isolation setup. i guess you could build on a smaller scale but you get the idea on what needs to be done.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/22860-midos-peppers/

Cheers Pauly

Personally I love the taste of the 7 pot red. The scorps I have tried thus far had good flavour as well. The battery acid taste is usually referring to Butch T scorps, but I haven't gotten ripe pods out of mine yet so I can't attest to that.

don't worry about cross pollination unless you are planning on selling the seeds, its only the f1 generation that inherits the crossed genes. If you are planning on trading seeds with others, just let them know before hand that your seeds are open pollinated.

Welcome... where in Orlando? Fern Park here... I love fatalis, but i am interested in the Bishop crowns I have have going. I guess I'm excited because there so unique. I have a choc fatalli coming ripe i can't wait to try.

don't worry about cross pollination unless you are planning on selling the seeds, its only the f1 generation that inherits the crossed genes.

No not only the f1 generation, it takes about 6-8 generations to stabalize any cross.
Personally I always worry about crossing since I like to know what I'm growing and not waste a season growing potential junk, but I guess if its your first year then you probably don't really have an opinion yet on what junk is :)

If you like the heat of datils you'll likely love the CARDI yellow scorpion which isn't super-hot but super flavorful. Same with Bonda ma Jacques

Welcome... where in Orlando? Fern Park here... I love fatalis, but i am interested in the Bishop crowns I have have going. I guess I'm excited because there so unique. I have a choc fatalli coming ripe i can't wait to try.

I live in east orlando, up stonybrook area. Choc Fatali ooooh that sounds good. I have some yellow and red seeds coming my way. not sure if they are true seeds or not. first time i am buying from this source online.

I think i will try to keep them a bit apart. maybe 1 type of pepper on each side of the house.... but that only leaves 4 varieties. What if i separate them by about 20-30 feet each? add to the fact that i have not seen a single honey bee in the last 3 years. does that help?

General rule is a mile and a half between plants for isolation, but that really isn't practical. Try a site search for isolating and you should find a lot of info on different techniques

Back