• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Advice on varieties/spacing

Hi all!

New to posting here but have been lurking for a while. Tried my hand at gardening for the first time last year in my old sandbox frame and it turned out pretty good all things considered. This year I'm going a little bigger with two 4'x12' raised beds in addition to the 4'x4' from last year.

Right now though my question is short and sweet: out of the varieties I'm going to list, do I have any "overlap" in terms of heat/taste where I might be able to pare down a bit, and which of these guys will be the biggest/bushiest, and which ones are taller/skinnier/vine-like?

I'm trying to make sure I cover a broad range of taste/heat levels, and that I also space accordingly for maximum growth within the constraints of raised bed/square foot gardening (I don't follow SFG to a "t", but I ascribe to some of the basic tenets)

here's my pepper list:

Fatalii
Datil
Saint Bart Hab
Caribbean Red Hab
Chocolate Hab
Guajillo
Anaheim
Poblano
Serrano
Tobasco
Italian Long Hots
Aji Lemon
Thai Orange
Cayenne
Jalapeno
Bell

Any and all thoughts/comments are appreciated! Looking forward to springtime gonna be my first shot at seed starting indoors too here in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Welcome to THP, afman! I can't comment on all the varieties you've listed, but here's my experience from last year. Serrano and Guajillo both grew about 6 ft tall. Datil and Harold's St Barts were only 2 to 3 ft tall. I had a late start with Tabasco, but it got 3 to 4 ft tall by end of season.

You may already know that most people start seeds for chinenses (e.g. Datil, Fatali) earlier than annuums (e.g. Bell). I started my chinenses 2 or 3 weeks ago and I'll start annuums next week.

Good luck and have fun!

Tom

Back