• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

African Bird's Eye Piri Piri 2018+

Looking back, I wish I had brought all of my superhots in.. I was only going to bring in one and see how I could manage.
Still wouldn't trade this plant for any of the others. I picked this up at the local Fleet Farm early in the summer and left it sit for a couple weeks, neglected in my trailer, before transplanting it to this pot. What you see here is probably about half of it's total crop. While they sunburn readily, they seem to thrive on neglect. All of my peppers were mercilessly grown in full sun on my driveway, mostly in 5 gal buckets.  

I've managed to clone it, and now intend to work on fruiting indoors. 

Oct 18, 2018.. Right after bringing it in, post frost.
gYfJc65l.jpg

Nov. 14, 2018.. Bouncing back nicely in the south window.
FqdU7K9l.jpg

PaulG said:
Don't know anything about the African Devils.

How would you describe them?
Somewhere between half as hot and nearly as hot as a Habanero.. No real fruitiness, yet they have a nice pepper flavor. Definitely best ripe, a bit grassy green. They are great raw, sliced in thin strips on whatever. They have a very up in your face bite to them, and medium afterburn. They do lose a lot of heat in the pan though.. Not sure why because they stay really hot on pizza. Also made a nice hot honey with one too. 
I would say they are a tough plant too, as she shrugged off the first light frost we had in Wisconsin last year.. Whereas my Chinense types all took a visible shock. She also overwintered very nice (Even though I didn't root prune her.) under a variety of lighting setups.
Also seems to clone fairly easy.

Did I miss anything?

PaulG said:
Thanks, CF, sounds like a winner, alright!

They do well for me. I just harvested the Mother, so I should have plenty of seed in few days here.

hAnhPVyl.jpg

The other, smaller ones, are supposed to be Burpee Poinsettia.. Which they are not. These also get blackened with sun scald pretty readily when green. (the dark splotches you see on some)

Back