• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

African Rhino Extra Hot

Recently I went to a local store (sort of) with the intention of purchasing a sauce with just the peri peri(aka) bird's eye chili simply because I wanted a break from the usual jalapeno/habanero/jolokia. So I saw this pretty bottle and decided to give it a try. Besides I saw Neil Smith review it on youtube.The bottle is nice and fat so you get your money's worth. Consistency is fairly thin but with a lot of seeds in it. Some of the ingredients include roasted tomatoes, onion, and garlic with the chilis located farther down the list. The sauce tastes pretty nice, but there is a bit too much onion flavor and not enough chili flavor. If the company who made this product would have upped the chili content and lessened the garlic and onion, African Rhino would probably be a great sauce and not just a good one. Heatwise, there is a very comfortable warmth which lasts for a little while, particularly in the front of the tongue and roof of the mouth. It is not a sharp heat, but rather a rolling heat.

One downside about this sauce is I want to point out is the size of the opening. It is HUGE. While I don't like the cap droppers some sauces have, the opening doesn't have to be this large. When you pour it tons of sauce comes out, a lot of times more than you need. However, I am glad I got to experience African Rhino Peri Peri sauce even if I might not buy it again.

Verdict: Heat 5, Flavor 6.5

Have a good one,

Mark

The Hot Pepper Awards 2007
Hot Sauce - Other Pepper
3rd - Kalahari Pepper Co. - African Rhino Peri Peri Pepper Sauce

It won 3rd on our contest in 2007 (though you tried Extra Hot). The bottle opening you talk about is typical of the flask style. I like it.

Back