• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Air Lock Question

Just started my third ferment using an air lock for the first time.  Frozen red jalapenos, red serrano, carrot, onion, garlic, plus a lacto starter.  Things kicked off radically and went for a week now it's settled down with consistent subtle bubbling.

Question is: what should I see in the air lock?  I don't notice the inside cap moving up or down, or bubbles displacing inside.  Nothing really.  Is it working is what I wonder....

I did screw up by filling the mash too high and with the significant action early action some of the brine pushed up into the stem of the air lock, but I got it settled down and now it's clear.  

How does one tell if its a-o-kay.

K

If the airlock is tight, its fine. If you were to stare long enough at it, you would eventually see bubbles slip out of the water in the airlock. Its not always obvious. Give it a nice swirl, and you should see some slip through.

After the initial fermentation, which will be the more aggressive as there are more sugars in there for the lacto to consume, is over you may not see any action in the airlock or you may catch the rare bubble. As the sugar level decreases so will the activity.

No worries, just let it go till you reach the desired fermentation time.

Back