• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji limon/criolla sella - better green (unripened)?

So I just harvested acouple aji limon and criolla sella pods and unfortunately they tasted quite soapy. The few green ones that i snacked on before they were ripe definitely tasted much better. I know that some people claim that this could be because of a gene similar to cilantro which or it could be that they were growin in too hot of a climate, which is a possibility, but does anyone else prefer the green, or unripened pods?

has anyone made sauce with soapy tasting peppers? how did it turn out?

There has been over the years some types I thought tasted better green ( yellow Thai pepper). Some super hots have good taste with not all the heat that ripe peppers have. The soap taste reminds me of most ortimental peppers(plastic taste) that I've tasted and one I wouldn't use for sauce

This "soapy" taste is why I continually try new peppers. There are some peppers which taste this way to me. Therefore, I rely on descriptions from trusted growers on this site and try as many as I can in order to find the ones which satisfy my appetite.

One of the beauties of peppers is the multitude of varieties to be found. Somewhere out there is your "Golden Ticket" pepper with the right heat & flavor.

I've never gotten the soapy taste from them but some people seem to think that high heat may lead to the soapy flavor and that it's not present during cooler months. May just be a genetic thing like how some people get a soapy taste with cilantro 

I've made some sauce with them green, and yellow before...I've never had a soapy taste from them, and I hate cilantro.

Assuming your aji limon look like the yellow ones in this pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-07-21-55-26.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-07-21-55-26.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2016-04-07-12-04-41.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-07-12-04-41.png
    542.2 KB · Views: 57
Back