• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Limon

Is the "Aji Limon Peru Yellow" and the "Aji Limon" the same pepper?... I was browsing the hippy seed company website making a list for seeds and saw the aji limon, then I went to pepperlover.com and saw the aji limon peru yellow. They look to be the same pepper but I would like to know for sure, because I will probably be ordering from pepper lover.

Edited for spelling

There is a Chinense and a Baccatum called Aji Limon , Aji Lemon , Limon or Lemon Drop.
A lot of seed venders interchange the names even though they are different peppers.

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=Aji+lemon&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=limon&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search

The link says the C.Baccatum , Aji Limon and Peru Yellow are the same.

Isn't the "Peruvian Yellow" an Aji Amarillo? I think the Chinense variety may be Aji Limo (from Lima), and not Aji Limon, which could be the same as Lemon Drop/Hot Lemon..(?). I'm also confused by some of these Aji names, but I think I have growing: Aji Amarillo, Aji Limo (rojo), and Hot Lemon. All of the plants look different from each other. Just wish I could keep the grasshoppers away from my Amarillos..! :)

I have Aji Limon from the Chile institute - C.Baccatum - growing outside,they have gold specks on the petals.no pics yet if the mites let it set buds

I have Limon from Peppermania - C.Chinense-no pics yet if the mites let it set buds

I have Lemon Drop from somewhere else,also Baccatums.no pics yet if the mites let it set buds

I grew Aji Limo Rojo last year - Peppermania seeds - C.Chinense.Totally different animal.

Limo Rojo

IM004640.jpg

IM004618.jpg

Picture006-3.jpg

..I grew Aji Limo Rojo last year - Peppermania seeds - C.Chinense.Totally different animal.

Limo Rojo

IM004640.jpg
Not trying to hijack the thread, but smokemaster, how did those Aji Limo Rojo taste..? I got Limo Rojo seed from DudeThtsBad, who says he brought 'em back from Peru. They're growing nicely, but no pods yet (late start).

I've grown the Aji lemon baccatum from hippy and its been my most productive plant yet. Quite impressed with this one.
Planted a few Limon chinense from peppermania, its just a seedling at the moment but its had a high germination rate.

I bought a plant that was labeled as Aji Limon, but it's definitely not a baccatum. To me it looks like the c. chinense Limon- the plants are compact and the pods distinctly taper at both ends. This is what the unripe pods look like:

IMGP1306.jpg

The plant had mites and I sprayed poison to try and get rid of them so I didn't eat the pods,just saved seeds.
See the curled , yellowish leaves on the plant.
Mites won,plant died.

I looked at the one on pepperlover's site and it looks exactly like aji limon. I'm pretty sure aji limon/lemon drop/hot lemon are all the same. If there's any difference it's probably about as much difference as there is between bhut jolokia and bih jolokia, or in other words, very little. I have aji limon and hot lemon and they look the same to me.

Just for another bit of confusion, I'm growing a smaller strain of Aji Amarillo this year and it bears a striking resemblance to the "Aji Limon Peru Yellow" listed on the pepper lover site. Moreover, its growth habit is indeed large and dropping- right now it's growing out and down from the weight of the pods... without the support it'd be a floppy mess.

IMGP1378.jpg

Wish I could do a side-by-side taste test on all of these.

Hey Hill Billy. Here is a picture of the pods I am sending you. They are from NMSU. Had pods in sixty days. Love it and I hope you will too. Package is in the mail.

100_2116.jpg

Oh and Mike I am sorry to hear your still having Mite problems.Hasn't it been over a year and they will not stop.Bast turds!

The Aji Amarillos I grew turn orange when fully ripe.They are 5-6in. long.
I think there are several peppers called Aji Amarillo.Some are 2-4in long others are like the picture of Pods from a Peru market.They were braught back in a jar of water labled MOM's Pickled peppers.Fresh pods are a no no through customs but jared up they get through.Customs assumes they were processed...

Peru Pods - Aji Amarillo and Peru Baseball(Rocoto)

IM003466.jpg

IM003468.jpg

Aren't mites wonderfull?
Going on 2 years now.
I emptied my indoor shelves of plants so the little boogers went around webbing up my plastic bottles of hydro juice looking for the plants to eat.
Mites were dead in the web.Starved the little guys.Had some comming out of my lights too.
Hopefully all the hidden mites will be dead by christmas so I can start a mite free crop next spring.
I was stupid and overwintered a Galopagoense and another plant that looked mite free.I guess they weren't,everything goes away this seasons end.

7 pot Jonah without leaves.Pic taken today.Probably the only pods I'll get off that plant this season.

PICT2049.jpg

The Aji Amarillos I grew turn orange when fully ripe.They are 5-6in. long.
I think there are several peppers called Aji Amarillo.Some are 2-4in long others are like the picture of Pods from a Peru market.They were braught back in a jar of water labled MOM's Pickled peppers.Fresh pods are a no no through customs but jared up they get through.Customs assumes they were processed...

Peru Pods - Aji Amarillo and Peru Baseball(Rocoto)

IM003466.jpg

I left them on the vine a bit longer and they turned a yellow/orange. Not as deep in color as those pods, but they're definitely orange. I compared the taste to some Aji Amarillo paste I found in the international food store, the flavor is similar.

Hey.
I will add some more confusion or maybe some clarification to this thread:
Here are pictures of my AJI LIMO or AJI MOCHERO, labeled as CAP 869 by the German genebank, originating from Peru. (They labeled as C. frutescens, but I'm confident it is a C. chinense, seeing the flowers and the pods).
FLOWER
PODS
Sorry you will have to open the link, but aparently I çan't or I don't know how to add pictures from my Flickr phostream.

Hey.
I will add some more confusion or maybe some clarification to this thread:
Here are pictures of my AJI LIMO or AJI MOCHERO, labeled as CAP 869 by the German genebank, originating from Peru. (They labeled as C. frutescens, but I'm confident it is a C. chinense, seeing the flowers and the pods).
FLOWER
PODS
Sorry you will have to open the link, but aparently I çan't or I don't know how to add pictures from my Flickr phostream.
Can you help me posting the pictures from my Flickr photostream ?

Back