• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Tamarindo

Well, that pepper intrigued me and I googled it. I am saddened to say that google has failed. The only hit was from thechiliman.com that you have already listed. I spent an hour going through hundreds of google pages and not one could produce anything about this pepper. It is truly an elusive pepper, good luck at obtaining it.

Tamarindo is a city in Costa Rica, which borders Panama. Sounds like a local pepper named for the city. I'd imagine it's hard to find, or has another name besides this.

Or something lost in translation, tamarindo (tamarind) is not a pepper. It's also popular in Panama.

Tamarind is popular all over the Carribean and Mexico. Its fruits are used to produce all kinds of meat sauces including Worcestershire. There is also an agua gaseosa (carbonated) soda with tamarind flavor served all over Mexico.

I have had salsa fresca and cocido with tamarind in it.

If we are talking about TAMARIND a sour fruit of TAMARINDUS INDICUS it has sour curved fruits which are ribbon type flattish.
When ripe, the fruits are sweetish sour. Arabs traded this as TAMAR-E-HIND which was changed in english language to TAMARIND.

In India it is very widely used as souring and pickling agent in sauces, curries and pickles.
South Indian cooking heavily depends upon Tamarind.

4258708803_c27f02d928.jpg

NJA

Interesting looking pepper rrene but never heard of it. Doesn't really look like a typical C. chinense, but maybe its not.

Someone probably made a tamarind (tamarindo in Sp.) hot sauce and a gringo thought it was a pepper. I don't know. Sounds like a mistake to me.

Tamarindo Bay Steak sauce....costa Rica.

http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/50185/search/Tamarindo_Bay_Steak_Sauce.html?SEARCH=3&WORDS=tamarind%2Bsauce&orig=30&PAGE=0&_ssess_=3f9624c64eb854d0a49b89f8ba0481ab

I tooth combed thro chillimen's org Indian section of varieties.
There are glaring mistakes there. The website is thus filled with a lot of mishmash without ascertaining facts.

For example, a variety is "LAL MIRCH"
Lal Mirch means red pepper. All dried peppers in India are known as red peppers.

So Aji Tamarindo.......take this variety with a pinch of salt.

NJA

Simply because the only site that mentions it is thechileman.org. I know a cherry pepper is not a cherry, and there could be a tamarind pepper, but that was why I thought it may be a mistake (one reference).

I noticed that cut and paste description. In other words they took it from TCM.

I wrote to a Panamanian agriculture company. Will let you know what I find.

Lots of efforts being done here by everybody, I really appreciate it. :)

I have of course also tried a google-search for this, and ended up spending hours reading different Tamarindo recipes...:oops:

/René

Back