• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting AJs 16th Harvest 09-29-08

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I have picked a lot of peppers this year so far but my major harvest is yet to come...this one is kinda small...I am beginning to wonder if all my superhots are ever going to get ripe...they are all loaded with pods...I haven't picked in two weeks and here is what I picked yesterday afternoon...

Top row left to right: Pepperoncini, Criolla Sella, Ring of Fire Cayenne

Middle row left to right: Jamaican Hot Yellow, White Habanero

Bottom row left to right: Serrano, Passila Bajio

16thHarvest09-29-08.jpg

all my plants seem to be doing a lot better since the weather has cooled down, but they seem to be taking a lot longer to ripen..

That looks great. I really like the Jamaican Hot Yellows.
Good luck with your superhots. They'll ripen eventually.... probably...

Nice harvest as always! The Jamaican Hot Yellow look great!

Same here, since it has cooled down my plants need far less water than before, but they take forever to ripen. If I look after them every day I hardly see ANY progress.The ripening hoods will go back on in a day or two, maybe this'll speed things up!

Elkie said:
That looks great. I really like the Jamaican Hot Yellows.
Good luck with your superhots. They'll ripen eventually.... probably...

I love the JHYs too...they taste delicious and are pretty prolific too...the reds and chocolates aren't producing as well as the yellows...

Chiliac said:

Same here, since it has cooled down my plants need far less water than before, but they take forever to ripen. If I look after them every day I hardly see ANY progress.The ripening hoods will go back on in a day or two, maybe this'll speed things up!

it is still in the low 90s here in the day and temps at night are in the mid 60s....if I didn't have so many plants, I would try and use the hoods too...but...they would have to be huge hoods...I have a lot of superhots that are way over 4 feet tall with some reaching almost 6'...

Hmm Boags said:
Impressive crop as always AJ. How many plants are you harvesting from this year?

I have lost count of the total number of plants...when plantout came, I had 327 but have lost a bunch to root rot before I learned to test the soil moisture before watering....I have probably in the neighborhood of 280 or so still viable and producing pods...

these came from 2 pepperoncinis, 1 criolla sella, 1 ring of fire, 2 JHYs, 2 white habs, 1 serrano del sol, and 1 pasilla bajio...

Nice to see some ripe Serrano's A.J Mine are teasing me and i wished they would stop..Great harvest again my friend :)

Gotta love those bonnets. just started getting mine in all colors of the rainbow(berry)... minus a couple. :lol:

Nice lot of peppers there AJ. Hope the rest of your super hots ripen up nice before the weather knocks off too much more.

I have some white hab's sprouting and a few tepins as well...oughta be a fun winter here.

Peace:hell:

Nice looking pods as always. How long do you think you have left AJ? I am expecting the first frost this month. It's a shame because my plants are all flowering like crazy and the habs have little pods starting. If I had two months left I'd have a boatload more habs.

I just said on Potawies September Harvests thread that I am beginning to wonder if I will get a huge harvest before the first frost...normally I have 6-7 weeks before first frost which comes usually the middle of November...pray for no early frost....

Chiliac said:

Seconded...except for the ripening hoods.

your 'small harvest' is like many more times peppers that I have harvested all year. if the rest of your plants come through what are your main plans for everything?

peter pepper said:
what are your main plans for everything?

most will be made into powder for seasoning...will pickle some, make salsa to can with some...make some relish from Natgreenmeds recipe with a bunch...make a ristra or two if I can...I would love to have a 7 pot and a Trinidad Scorpion ristra...most of the tabascos will be used for making pepper sauce (vinegar and peppers) for putting on greens....mailing a few to friends that are in dire need...etc....

Beautiful peppers AJ! This cooler weather does seem to be slowing things down here as well. Plants are loaded so hoping frost stays aways or I'll be picking a lot of green peppers.

Back