• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs 2010 Season Start

only the two that I broke when transporting them home but they were replaced no cost by Homus Depos...the shop light fixtures is another story...had to replace 3 of them this year...

the Plants in the picture I am calling Red Savina are not Red Savina...they are Naga Morich for the contest grow we had two years ago and were planted on 1 January...so these plants are about 11 weeks old...

The growrage pictures are great. It's amazing you're almost ready to transplant. I can't wait to see them in the next grow area. Have you thought about throwing a mixed tray in there with some random types? Everything's so organized and planned out, a little bit of unknown could be exciting. I'm just dreaming of what I would try if I had your setup. I'd spend all day in there.

I still have 7-10 days until my first transplant (I think) but I like being prepared and taking it a step at a time...I hope I sell a lot of these because my grow area will only handle a 16" plant max...my first shot at selling plants this year will be the 2nd or 3rd week of March...hopefully I will have some ready by then...

Most of these plants will be sold locally...that is after I keep the best ones for myself...as soon as the plants are transplanted, it will be time for round 2 germination...probably 2 or 3 trays of tomatos and another 10-13 peppers...

There will be plenty of mixed trays in the next transplant because most of the second round will be for what I want to grow...

and by the way....I DO spend all day in there...scheming, planning, and thinking about what else I could do to make the growrage a better place for the plants to live...

I really want to convert the whole garage into a grow room but the wife won't give up her parking place...dangit....

I like the idea of only having to keep a small area heated!! I am using an outbuilding that is insulated but it is way bigger that I need to start and grow first stage. I will be making a grow box and germination box later this year for next season.

AJ, youre a riot man!!! Thanks for the laughter, needed it, mother nature is being a mean one this week, dropped 9 inches of snow on us in about 36 hours and now she thinks it needs blown around more.

Looks like you are off to a good start!

pappywith4 said:
I like the idea of only having to keep a small area heated!! I am using an outbuilding that is insulated but it is way bigger that I need to start and grow first stage. I will be making a grow box and germination box later this year for next season.

Pappy...the good thing about these grow boxes is once you get them stabalized as far as temperature goes, they are pretty to keep at that temperature with only the heat from the lights...glad you will be "adding on" for next season.... ;)

Matt50680 said:
AJ, youre a riot man!!! Thanks for the laughter, needed it, mother nature is being a mean one this week, dropped 9 inches of snow on us in about 36 hours and now she thinks it needs blown around more.

Looks like you are off to a good start!

just doin' my job Matt....roflmao

I am behind by two weeks from where I was last year, but hopefully that won't matter too much...I had to put off my planting until the last week of January because I went to Pensacola to see my mother the third week (whjich is usually planting time)

I am off to look at the back of my eye lids all...have great night...

Grow Area Renovation

if you have read this whole thread, you will see that a few posts ago, I said I was going to enlarge my grow area because the shelves were not wide enough for the new 3.5" square container holders I got....

sooooo here is my progress...

first pic is the grow area readied for work...

021110d001.jpg

this pic is of me "prefabbing" everything....I am using 19/32" plywood and it has been painted flat white...I am having to make this custom fit because the door to my attic comes down across the left corner...

021110d004.jpg

everything prefabbed...hangers for lights are just screw in hooks...

021110d009.jpg

back in a bit with more work in progress pics...

AJ it is a joy to watch you "scheming, planning, and thinking about what else I could do to make the growrage a better place for the plants to live...". You are my pepper growing hero. LOL

patrick said:
AJ it is a joy to watch you "scheming, planning, and thinking about what else I could do to make the growrage a better place for the plants to live...". You are my pepper growing hero. LOL

thanks man...I just like to play in my growrage...

millworkman said:
I echo exactly what Patrick says. Also, is that a Texas flag that hangs down when the door is open?

Nope..Texas flag is stored, that is my AlabamaJacks Exotic Superhots advertising banner....

chillilover said:
Why so many plants though? Do you sell them?

yes sir....try and sell a bunch in the spring....anything to offset the costs of my hobby...

millworkman said:
yes, he does sell.

correctamundo

Just finished this project...it took me all day to "deepen" the grow area...the grow area is now three shelves that are 24 inches deep and 8'6" wide....I am tired and will be resting for the rest of the evening...this was engineering on the fly...the old bamboo shade I had was too wide because of the attic door so I had to cut it down about 6-8" on each end....now the left end was open so I took the original sides lined with mylar and put them side to side on the left end...all in all it worked out pretty good...can't tell much from this photo but maybe you can get the idea....

021110e001.jpg

021110e002.jpg

millworkman said:
Beautiful work AJ. When are you expecting to begin using it?

Thanks mwm...I will start transplanting this coming week...trying to get the temperature stabalized right now...am using an old four foot long electric "strip heater" or baseboard heater that is probably 40 years old...

pappywith4 said:
I like the way you think AJ .I like the fact you built it all from common things just used for something else!!

thanks pappy...I am a pretty simple man and strive to "recycle" materials or use what I have on hand...or if I have to buy, I will buy the cheapest thing I can to " git 'er' dun' "

I am going to move to Texas, i love the way ya'll talk. Like git er dun and iffin i was..

I also do my best work when i "engineer on the fly". Superb work MR Aj :D

I wish I had the area to go full scale like you AJ, but I am limited with space at the moment. LOL I did get bit by the planting bug yesterday and started 84 new hotties, well not all hots, mostly stuff co-workers are requesting.

Back