• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AJs 2012 Season - A Pictorial Discussion

I am getting a one day jump on last season...today is my 2012 season start...

The Germinator has been cleaned, I am using new trays for seed starting and Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix as my grow media...

If any of you decide to use Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix, be patient, it takes as much as 24 hours pre-soak to get this light weight mix totally wet...I have said it before and I will say it again...this is the cleanest seed starting mix I have ever used....clean and light weight means better root growth IMO..

12-30-11A001.jpg

All circuits and systems are a go on the germinator...am stabilizing the temperature for the next 24 hours...as you can see, the upper box is about 93F and the lower box is 85F...I have to vent the top to let both chambers reach the same temperature...

12-30-11A002.jpg

12-30-11A004.jpg
12-30-11A005.jpg

something tells me this is going to be another hot summer....close to record heat again...so the season will go as mother wants it to...I am learning each year how to change my grow techniques and am adapting to North Texas...

hope you folks enjoy this thread...if anyone has any questions or comments, they are welcome...

Hey...how much rain did you get today?

We got 2.5" Tuesday night into Wed. morning, and 4" from 2pm to 10 pm today!

got a total of about 2.5"

AJ I have to finally ask since it has been in my head for a while. Do you prune the bottom leaves and branches to achieve such height?

sometimes on some plants...I don't want the leaves or branches to touch the soil...I really like at least 6" of clearance...to me, that is just another "avenue" for pests/ants to climb up on the plants and cuts down on the "splash" up on the leaves from rain....

Very nice looking grow u have going Ronnie! We have had a bunch of rain here in Tampa, actually lost my pole barn that was 20ft tall and about 50x65ft....huge old oak tree fell from the roots being rotten over time and it came crashing down on the pole barn...that was my whole potting area....gone! In an instant! Found it like that this morning....I will post the pics in my glog....didnt mean to hijack the thread....was just reading it and saw the talk of rain....made me think about my findings today at the nursery...not a good site....we may be in trouble...anyway....u do have great looking plants i must say...and I do agree a bit on the yellowing of some of the Scorpions..I too have some on the same drip lines with pressure regulations on each and they all get the same nutes n such....very puzzling indeed.....nice job on the grow this year! You would be proud of some of the scorpions I got from you.....they are about 8 ft tall right now! :) a few hundred of them...covered in flowers! :)

You never know what else might be affecting the plants that are looking ill. Who knows myabe the neighbour is getting a bit free with his weedkiller spray and theres a hole in the fence. Or maybe your dog is cocking his leg on that corner of the garden :P Could just be a random infection in the soil like nematodes or some other crazy thing. I've had inexplicable plant failure in amoungst a sea of healthy growth, just happens sometimes.

edit: most of them look awesome though :)

the cool down usually happens the week after labor day...2nd or 3rd week in September...that's when the plants really load up with buds/flowers...but it takes about a week or so for pollen production and another few days until the pollen is fertile...so massive pod set won't occur until the last of September or so....which means early frost's or freeze's are not what I want...I lost probably 60 lb last year to an early cold snap....If I can make it to December 1st without cold weather, I should have a pretty decent major harvest....so, if anyone wants any fresh pods, they will be available then...will post an ad when they get close...

***just re-read that last three phrases...it's a shameless plug... :lol: ***

Aj,

Did you ever think about locating a beehive near your plants for pollenation ? I can help you out if you need it. PM if interested.

Rhody...

Man AJ your grow is awesome! AWESOME! had to say it again because I love it so much. First hedge of peppers I've ever seen. Love it. Hope the end of the season works out well for you buddy.

wow, I just went back to this thread trying to remember how my last grow went (before I just plain quit caring about anything...ex-wife told me 5 August 2012 she wanted a divorce)...my system was sooooo ready to grow and producing excellent results...

I promise you this, 2015 will be a continuation of 2012...

for he new comers...have a look...and if you have questions, post them to my 2015 grow post...

I, for one will be referring back to this thread time and time again...by the way...this is the most complete grow thread I have ever done from start to almost finish...as you notice, there are no harvest photos...I only picked a few for seed stock and let most rot on the vine..

I was proud of the 2012 season up until mid August

KNowing you - You'll be back and bigger than ever!! I used to watch your posts and I am just amazed how fast you took to growing and getting it down to a real science - Go figure Engineers  :rolleyes:

AlabamaJack said:
wow, I just went back to this thread trying to remember how my last grow went (before I just plain quit caring about anything...ex-wife told me 5 August 2012 she wanted a divorce)...my system was sooooo ready to grow and producing excellent results...

I promise you this, 2015 will be a continuation of 2012...

for he new comers...have a look...and if you have questions, post them to my 2015 grow post...

I, for one will be referring back to this thread time and time again...by the way...this is the most complete grow thread I have ever done from start to almost finish...as you notice, there are no harvest photos...I only picked a few for seed stock and let most rot on the vine..

I was proud of the 2012 season up until mid August

Life's ups and downs are inevitable... good to see you finding your footing again.  Stay strong. 

Definitely looking forward to following your 2015 grow :cool: .

Back