• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

AJs Gumbo from scratch...

Just decided that today being on the cool side outside and the ground still soaked from our two days of rain that I would stay inside and cook...

Note: If you want to fix this recipe, that is cool...but...making the roux will take you about an hour of almost constant stirring...so, make sure you have all morning or afternoon to make this dish...

Difficulty: it's not hard if you will simply take your time and not rush the dish...

Ingredients (in no particular order):

1 1/2 cups each Bell Pepper, Celery, and White Onion
4 cloves of garlic chopped/diced/or otherwise cut up
1/2 cup green onion tops
1 lb Okra
2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Quart Chicken Stock
2 Quarts Water
2 cans (14.5 ounce) stewed tomatos (I use the italian recipe because it fits well with the other spices)
1 small can tomato paste
1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
1 Tbsp Thyme
1 Tbsp Oregano
2 Tbsp Cajun Spice (to start with, the spice it up as it cooks)
4 Tbsp Butter
1 lb fish (I like a firm fish in my gumbo)
2 packages of lump crab meat
1 lb shrimp

(if I missed anything, I will edit the recipe)

Making the roux...cast iron is the only way to go making a good roux...one cup of oil and a cup of self rising flower...cook this on medium low...or medium max...if you cook it quicker you will burn your roux as sure as the devil (speaking from experinece here)...

050311a001.jpg

While your roux is cooking (stir it!) there is time for the prep work...prepare the trinity (equal parts white onion, bell pepper, and celery - about 1 1/2 cups each), chop your green onion, prepare your garlic, cut up your fish (I used red snapper in about 3/4" cubes - about a pound), 2 packages of lump crab meat, and a pound of good shrimp...

050311a008.jpg

make sure to stir your roux...it will darken up gradually...add 1 Tbsp Thyme, 1 Tbsp Oregano, and 1 Tbsp Parsley to the roux when the roux is about half way done (I want my roux almost chocolate colored for a dark gumbo)

050311a009.jpg

In another skillet, sautee the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery in 4 Tbsp butter (I used about 6 or 8)...(stir your roux!)

050311a012.jpg

while the roux is cooking (don't forget to stir it) and the trinity is sauteeing, in a large stockpot, combine tomatos, tomato paste, green onions, chicken stock, salt, water, and cajun seasoning (I use my home made that is made with Bhut Jolokia)...the quart of chicken stock is in a jar that had 7 pot powder in it and is quite spicy in itself...

050311a013.jpg

roux is almost getting there (stir it!)

050311a016.jpg

Add the sauteed trinity and the roux to the stockpot...

050311a021.jpg

you can stop stirring the roux now... :rofl:

simmer for about an hour or hour and a half tasting and adjusting your spice mixture as you go along...not shown in the ingredients picture is Tony Chachares shrimp and crab boil, and Old Bay seasoning...I added two tsp of the shrimp boil and 1 Tbsp of the Old Bay...just tweak the taste to your liking...

I am cooking this batch for 1 1/2 hours...will add the shrimp, fish, crab meat, and Okra an hour into cooking...

050311a022.jpg

back with more photos in a bit when I get ready to eat....

What time is dinner? Yum!

Another way to do a roux is to put some flour on a pan and stick it in the oven keeping watch over it until it turns brown. A little safer for the skin. :)

I hate to brag, but this is the best I have ever made...first bowl down, second on the way...

050311b001.jpg

What time is dinner? Yum!

Another way to do a roux is to put some flour on a pan and stick it in the oven keeping watch over it until it turns brown. A little safer for the skin. :)

it probably will be gone by the time you get here HS...never heard of making a roux in the oven...must be a Missouri thang...

Nice AJ. I just ate and your still making me hungry ;)

ty...ty

Nice, AJ!!!

Was that a 3 beer or 4 beer roux?

Actually a 32 ounce glass of sweet tea...I know, beat me with a with a big stick...

Umm, pureeeeeeeeee!

puree would have been good, but I used powdered Bhut and 7 pot instead...didn't even think of the puree...which reminds me about yours.... :oops:

Looks awesome AJ, I love cooking gumbo too!
Now I'm Hungery

It is a pleasure to create in the kitchen...especially when the wife doesn't eat this...that means I can make it as hot as I want...

off to consume the second bowl...

No it's an Atkins thing my mother developed b/s my dad had to cut back on fats, but it does cut down on the cajun napalm burns.

I make a lot of gumbos and that one intrigues me. I have never made one with tomatoes, or without beer. Looks like the color is spot on though (actually, holy crap that is dark!). Hmmm if you say it was the best then I'll have to trust you. I love gumbo. Thanks for posting this AJ.

Is there anythang a Texan can't do? I think not. Seafood. Check. Roux. Check. Cast Iron. Check. Hot Stuff. Check. Hot. Blue. Righteous. Bust a nut on that stuff right there! Have mercy!

Yeah BUST A NUT!

I have never made gumbo but if i do i will surely use this recipe! Don't worry, i will NOT forget to stir the roo. I'm good at stirring... the pot. :P

yummmmmmmmmmmm AJ!!! Your gumbo looks absolutely awesome!! Can you send some my way please? :)

Thanks all...I ate almost a half gallon yesterday and will probably finish it up today...

I have never made one with tomatoes, or without beer. Looks like the color is spot on though (actually, holy crap that is dark!).

what's funny JayT is that I never make it without Tomatos and never use beer...yup, it is very dark and that's the way I like my gumbo....don't give me any of that blonde stuff...

Is there anythang a Texan can't do? I think not. Seafood. Check. Roux. Check. Cast Iron. Check. Hot Stuff. Check. Hot. Blue. Righteous. Bust a nut on that stuff right there! Have mercy!

I always love it when I get a HB&R from you TB...if we were neighbors, it probably would be gone right now... :)

DAT COLOR! Never had a gumbo that looks that good... Beautiful!

thanks bou...scratch gumbo is usually the only way I can get it as dark as I like...

I sure didn't know that, but then again, I have always used tomatos and always have loved creole style cooking...

Very similiar to our cajun gumbos here in La. Only thing we do not use tomatoe paste or tomatoes in gumbo and YES definately gotta have File' in it.
Looks good.

Back