• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting AJs Harvest #10 - 08-30-09

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I have waited a couple of weeks to harvest since there was not much going on...Annuums have kept on pushing a few pods out but the chinense have completely stopped...they will kick in again any day...temps have finally dropped below 95F with lows in the high 60s/low 70s....

Total weight harvested this year so far is 59.11 pounds (26.8 Kg)

Harvest List

Harvest10List08-30-09.jpg

Harvest Pic...

083009a013.jpg

I expect things to pick up dramatically until the end of October...and will predict my last harvest (first frost) will be 06 December 2009. I am hoping to get another 200 pounds by the end of season....

He's back! Shade sure has helped mid-summer production for me AJ. Hope you are getting ready for a 7 Pot Bloody Mary and just relaxing. Cannot wait to see your big fall harvests! Pretty pods.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
He's back! Shade sure has helped mid-summer production for me AJ. Hope you are getting ready for a 7 Pot Bloody Mary and just relaxing. Cannot wait to see your big fall harvests! Pretty pods.

thanks Cappy

Shade structure is on my "have to do" list before next spring...probably will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 sq ft of 30% shade cloth up before May....

am partaking in a 7 Pot Bloody Mary right now....and it is mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm gooooooddddddd.....

I like indirect light under a tree where the shade shifts and at other parts of the day direct sun. I don't know if shade cloth at 30% at all times of the day is the way to go or not AJ. I just cut down a big overgrown Bradford Pear tree in the backyard, going to spread my plants out in the sun a bit more next year. Maybe just shade cloth the other side of your raised elevation that way it will shade parts of the day on all the plants around the outside of the wall. Just an idea.

250 pounds of peppers. Two hundred and fifty pounds of peppers. After looking at your backyard in that thread I think you may be just a tad conservative AJ.

What does one man do with 250lbs of peppers? Is there any way that you'll go through all of it before you're picking ripe pods off of next years plants?

You are a pepper growers inspiration AJ, I thank you.

Nice colors AJ. Can't wait to see those 200 pounds of pods.

High here today is 76 and raining, mid 80s and low to mid 60s for the next ten days. It has been a strange August with record lows this year.

Here's to a record harvest for you this fall. :cheers:

patrick said:
250 pounds of peppers. Two hundred and fifty pounds of peppers. After looking at your backyard in that thread I think you may be just a tad conservative AJ.

What does one man do with 250lbs of peppers? Is there any way that you'll go through all of it before you're picking ripe pods off of next years plants?

You are a pepper growers inspiration AJ, I thank you.

^^I'm with him.

That is just crazy AJ.

Nice work AJ. Glad your working on increasing your production efficiency with shade cloth for next year. Only 250 lbs this year? You can do better than that! ROFL - Man, that's a full time job.

Shade Structure a definite for me too. This last heat wave hit me with over 100f in the shade, and only took one day in the sun to kill 1/4 my flowers and some pods too. :violin:

Unfortunately, I don't have 250 lbs to work with :mouthonfire:

thanks all...I owe a lot to this website for the knowledge I have gained...that plus google is my best friend when looking for scholarly research articles on different facets of growing hot peppers.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I don't know if shade cloth at 30% at all times of the day is the way to go or not AJ.

Cappy, from what I have read on the net, 30% is what is recommended for peppers here in north Texas...info came from Texas A&M (but then again A&M developed a no heat Jalapeno?...whats the point?)

patrick said:
After looking at your backyard in that thread I think you may be just a tad conservative AJ.

I am guessing on the 250 total Patrick. I have about the same number of plants this year as I did last year and I picked about 250 lbs last year. If my "technique" has improved this year over last year, I may get more.

Silver_Surfer said:
High here today is 76 and raining, mid 80s and low to mid 60s for the next ten days. It has been a strange August with record lows this year.

Here's to a record harvest for you this fall. :cheers:

Our highs here have been in the high 80s for the past week and it doesn't look like we are going to hit 100 again...what I have noticed is the plants are flowering like mad...I am getting a little fruit set, but most of the flowers are "pollenless"...no pollen at all. Probably due to the extreme temps the last month...I check the flowers several times a day looking for pollen and have found none on the chinense...annuums are producing like mad now and I expect their production to step up just as the chinense will start producing...

bigt said:
Nice work AJ. Glad your working on increasing your production efficiency with shade cloth for next year.

thanks Tony...I think the shade cloth will do wonders for mid summer...I am going to rig the shade cloth up so I can uncover certain areas...the shade cloth will be hung on cable between posts...

SanSoo said:
Shade Structure a definite for me too. This last heat wave hit me with over 100f in the shade, and only took one day in the sun to kill 1/4 my flowers and some pods too.

my flowers are opening but no pollen as I said above... :pout:

Back