• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting AJs Naga Morich, Orange Hab, Red Savina Harvest 07-05-08

Just a word of caution, keep an eye on your dehydrator. I had one like yours and the plastic started melting:(

just found out my mother was watching me thru the window when I was making the pepper art....wife said she was just standing there giggling and shaking her head....

which part of it started to melt Potawie?....it seems to be all plastic...

The plastic trays started melting and warping but it was an older, well used machine. I had another unit fry from earwigs getting into the heater when it was outside, and what a stink.

AJ - great looking pods & harvest :cool: I like the art too but yea it might mean ya have a little extra time on your hands, maybe ya should build a greenhouse instead :lol:

AJ & potawie - that dehydrator looks like a nesco ? I have a newer(well not NEW just a newer design from my older model) & older nesco but neither have clear plastic for the trays. but I kinda agree with potawie about the warping (not melting, mine never melted) but my older nesco model had the fan/heater at the bottom like yours AJ & for some reason the trays warped over time. my newer nesco model with the fan/heater on top the trays have not warped yet. I dont know if it has something to do with the weight being on top & keeping the trays pushed down while its running, dont know ? & the dishwasher doesnt seem like the problem either because both were washed in it so the only thing I could think of is the fan placement (plus having the fan on top makes cleaning easier & liquid/juices cant fall into the fan)

Thanks for the heads up Potowie/CH...

Could be a basic design flaw CH...

wife bought this one down at the outlet stores last year...I used it all year long (probably 60 hrs) and it did ok...reallllllll sllllloooooowwww...takes about 48 hrs to completely dehydrate the peppers...

I want a new one and probably will get one before season is over...I am just picking my annuums and the early chinense...heck, I still got about 80 other chinense yet to produce...saw my first tiny tiny scorpion today...

Anyway, I want to get a better brand and probably stainless steel with a high power adjustable fan/heater element....I bet I could make a pepper dryer...

OK ramble time...

I saw an episode on the discovery channel or one of the like where they were drying Japs in quantity...they had a rolled steel cage made out of about 1/4" black iron with two circular pieces welded on each end...they had a 1" iron rod running down thru the middle welded to the center of the ends of the drum with a pulley attached on one end...the other end had a half-semi-circular hinged door...the shaft fit into a pair of split ring sleeve bearings ((mounted in two clivices). The clevices were on a 3" 60 schedule pipe frame that held the drum about 40" off the ground...they also had some propane jets that were heating the black iron and what peppers were checkerboarded by the drum...they were turning it with a 1/2 hp electric motor, adjustable speed and geared to turn the drum between 1- & 20 rpm...was one hell of a set up...

OK enough ramblin...

Awesome stuff AJ...that face is classic.
Perhaps ya should take some suitable pics for framing? I bet some chileheads would buy it. :D

POTAWIE said:
AJ, was it a roaster like this but electic?

yes sir...same except a bunch bigger....it would hold 100 lbs of Japs...and the one I am talking about was gas heated...Is that yours?

QuadShotz said:
Awesome stuff AJ...that face is classic.
Perhaps ya should take some suitable pics for framing? I bet some chileheads would buy it. :D

Have not thought of that QS...I may have to look into it...

rainbowberry said:
They look great AJ, I love the face :)

pepperfever said:
Wow AJ! That's some harvest and the face is great. All those peppers might keep you busy for a while. I'm still waiting not so patiently but I see signs things are making progress.

Jackie

CaLoR said:
Very cool photos, love the face! Looks like you are having a really good season! :onfire:

Thanks RB, pf, and CaLor..

The roaster pic is off the net(propane heated) and its not really for drying but roasting. I'd love to have one for roasting my anchos and Anaheims and others as well as tomatos and garlic but its expensive shipping to Canada.

Hey, if you know a welder, you can make one in half a day if you have all the parts pre-fabbed...an electric one would be great for drying but it would probably need to be at least half way enclosed I would think....you could make it out of expanded stainless steel...

It's just the welding that is my problem...but...I do know a real good welder that happens to be my chili tasting buddy...my father refused to teach me how to weld and he could mend anything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn if you could get him a rod to stick to it...said I would get a taste of the quick good money and I wouldn't have gone to college....smart Man...

Back