• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Alcohol and Sugar in Chili

I was just thinking. I know a lot of CASI cookoff cooks. Some of them put sugar in their chili to temper the burn.

If sugar tempers the burn, then would alochol temper the burn also since it is basically a sugar?

I use white zinfendel wine in my chili at the rate of 1 Liter per gallon.

Heres my question. If you don't put sugar or alcohol in the chili would it be hotter?

cheezydemon said:
Not completely relevant, but capsaicin is incredibly soluble in beer. I would estimat 50-60 times more heat and flavor in beer as opposed to vinegar. I soak habs in beer for a week or so and add that to my chili for incredibly even heat and flavor distribution..sometimes. Sometimes I want chunks of hab to hit my tongue.

When I make my wing sauce it has tequila in it. Goes great together.

Now in regards to the beer. I wouldn't think it would kill the heat in the least bit. Sugar, yea it does, but alcohol cooks out when you cook it anyways. Beer is always a standard in my chili, as well as my spaghetti. Once in a while I'll put a red wine in my spaghetti as well, but beer really does add a great flavor in cooking. Now here's the crappy part. I recently quit drinking, but still want to cook with it. What do I do:shocked::shocked::lol:

jd with a barbecue sauce,sounds like mana..rb where did you get it from..if you dont mind me asking please :)

AJs Chili 03 May 2008

Made 3 gallons last weekend....gotta tell ya...it was the best pot I have ever made...I made it "CASI" style...just meat and gravy...but I used all fresh produce...onions, jalapenos, dried naga (thanks Pablo), roma tomatoes...put them in the 3/4 horsepower cuisenart and blended the doodoo out of them...no floaters...added that to the cooked meat and cooked from Saturday morning about 10am until Sunday noon...I love the color of it...this is using 9.5 pounds total weight meats...5 lbs cheap hamburger (for the grease), 1.25 pounds hot Italian sausage, 1.25 pounds mild Italian sausage, 2 pounds ground pork...and the burn was scintilating...it was nose running, sweat under the eyes and on forehead, hair wet hot......perfect and I had to have another bowl, then another one... :lol:

here is a pic of it cookin'

050308c007.jpg

here is a pic of final product...will skim grease off top before serving...

050308c008.jpg

dear god thats a chilli..the GREASE IS GOOD...any chance of sending some through u.p.s to u.k,they would eat it at customs anways hehe
:drooling:

talas said:
jd with a barbecue sauce,sounds like mana..rb where did you get it from..if you dont mind me asking please :)

I got it from Tesco. They did Smooth Original, Rich Honey, Full-flavour smokey, and Hot Chilli. They were less than Ā£3 a bottle. My favourite is still Reggae, Reggae Jerk sauce though, they sell that in a lot of supermarkets.

rainbowberry said:
Jack Daniels do a range of BBQ sauces. I've got the Hot Chilli one.

My mom has a ton of the stuff. It's pretty tasty, although i'm not real keen to the fact it's got high fructose corn syrup in it.

I always add beer to my chili. At our home making a pot of chili is a beer event. Some for the chili and some for the cook.
I likewise use beer in the making of other dishes. Depending upon the type of beer it either adds to the acidity or the sweetness of the dish. A bitier beer will add to the acidity due to the hop content, whereas malt adds to the sweetness of the dish, and no matter what type of beer you are using it adds to the fun of cooking.

Was this the no alcohol version Ronnie?
AlabamaJack said:
Made 3 gallons last weekend....gotta tell ya...it was the best pot I have ever made...I made it "CASI" style...just meat and gravy...but I used all fresh produce...onions, jalapenos, dried naga (thanks Pablo), roma tomatoes...put them in the 3/4 horsepower cuisenart and blended the doodoo out of them...no floaters...added that to the cooked meat and cooked from Saturday morning about 10am until Sunday noon...I love the color of it...this is using 9.5 pounds total weight meats...5 lbs cheap hamburger (for the grease), 1.25 pounds hot Italian sausage, 1.25 pounds mild Italian sausage, 2 pounds ground pork...and the burn was scintilating...it was nose running, sweat under the eyes and on forehead, hair wet hot......perfect and I had to have another bowl, then another one... :lol:

Was this the no alcohol version Ronnie?

AlabamaJack said:
I still used the wine. I added it to the meat and sauce after I had blended everything...

Speaking of your recipe I went shopping today:

I was only able to find a roseĀ“ zinfindel, Ill let you know if it worked. The beef and pork I will be using is cut for goulash should work fine, unfortunately Germans havn't a clue what American Italian sausage is so I will use bratwurst (pork hot dogs but larger and taste much better). The Chorrizo I and my wife will get tomorrow (I bought the wrong meat). Other than that I have every ingredient should work and taste pretty good I think the rose might even compliment it. I am short on Japs so I will throw in some serranos and of course 1 Habanero. For my chili powder we have pure ancho and pure Chipotle I will probebly mix the two.

AlabamaJack said:
thats cool pepperbelly...just some modifications to the basic recipe...isnt' that what we all do?...

well I tried a taste after 5 hours of simmering.....................:):onfire::hell:

That is outstanding chili! You dont even miss the American Italian sausage. And the rose zinfindel worked super.

Back