• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Alcohol Helps Control Plant Growth

So I was wondering if one could bump up the heat of a pepper by feeding it a capsaicin extract, then I trying to work out how to make it available to the plant, since it isn't water soluble. I immediately thought of alcohol, so I did a quick search on the effect alcohol has on plants and came across this article -
http://cornellsun.com/node/17453
It made me think that my theory is worth a crack. What I didn't expect to see is some of the results mentioned in the article, there was one line that really piqued my interest -
Although research hasn't confirmed it yet, Miller said one theory behind the alcohol's effect is "water stress" - essentially, diluting the actual water in the solution so that the plant stays thirsty.

So even without my crazy capsaicin theory, the faux watter stress in its self would be enough to bump up the heat without pushing the limits of your watering regime.

I'm still going to feed my sweet peppers capsaicin extract in diluted alcohol, totally worth a try.

I've grown all kinds of stuff with Alcohol....

...I usually add about 1 beer/1 shot/1 glass of wine every thirty mins to my stomach, while I tend to my plants, been doin it for year and It works!

haha, seriously tho. I'd like to see some experiments done with that. Would Moonshine work?

pods are hollow right?

800px-Syringe2.jpg

OK...I'm gonna call Bullshit on this one...they tested what, paperwhites? different family, genus and species...if you want shorter stockier plants, give them big doses of red light or simply pinch the tops..

OK...I'm gonna call Bullshit on this one...they tested what, paperwhites? different family, genus and species...if you want shorter stockier plants, give them big doses of red light or simply pinch the tops..

Agree on the "top pinching".........opps that didn't sound to good............ :lol:

But I believe you mean higher Kelvin temp. in the cooler blue scale for stocky, lusher plants.?
Greg

Diluted alcohol would be an available carbon source for bacteria growth, in theory that could then have a roll on effect to the available co2 in the soil along with the ph over a long period of time..........

Maybe lol

I'd rather drink the alcohol while having a munch on the pods :beer:

Inject the the alcohol in your left testicle... it will have the same effect as eating a bumped up ButchT.

Just a thought. ;)

I already think I'm slightly crazy when it comes to this hobby..

I can't start hanging out in the backyard at night gettin my buzz on with my pepper plants.
That will be the day I start searching for mental help :lol:

The babes always look hotter when I'm full of alcohol, don't see why it wouldn't work for peppers too. Bahahahahahahahahaha

I already think I'm slightly crazy when it comes to this hobby..

I can't start hanging out in the backyard at night gettin my buzz on with my pepper plants.
That will be the day I start searching for mental help :lol:

I hear that....
I already get all sorts of comments with how much time i spend on my plants, dont need to give people more of a reason :lol:

The babes always look hotter when I'm full of alcohol, don't see why it wouldn't work for peppers too. Bahahahahahahahahaha

lmao.

You thought it was bad waking up next to the rockfish look-a-like you brought home from the bar the night before..
Wait til you wake up n realize you had a menage a trois with molly madballz n barbara brain strain :rofl:

Back