Aleppo pepper seeds

Everytime someone posts a different type of pepper, I go "google crazy", trying to find out about the pepper - sounds like they make a unique tasty powder.

Once the weather clears up a little and the roads are cleaner for driving I will drop in on a few mediterranean/lebanese/middle east type grocers and see if they have some - perhaps I will find a dried bag that hasn't been smoked or treated in anyway.

I found dundicut in an east indian grocery store, in a bag with no product label and it looks like the grocer bagged them himself and marked the bag with black marker say chili from pakistan $2.49 - I didn't know if they would grow so I dropped several seeds in soil and now I have several plants(they are very distinctive looking). They may be native to pakistan but they sure like my environment.

One of my favorite chicken kabob recipes is spiced with aleppo...which we can never find. I'm curious about what you find.

PI 181863-Aleppo 36

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1157265

Is that the same thing as just Aleppo pepper or are their different strains/varieties?

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/swish/accboth?query=Aleppo+Pepper&sort=swishrank&si=0&.cgifields=si&.cgifields=reverse

Pictures look the same...but discription says very long,long med. pepper...

I have a couple of the Aleppo 36 that I just collected in a trade.The person only had a few.
Gotta grow them out eventually once I mite proof my pots...

Must be 7. :lol:

When you put PI 181863,you get aleppo too.

Wonder if the Aleppo 36 is a developed , commercial strain or something.
Maybe there are Alleppo #1-???.

The person I got these from said they were growouts from seeds that some friend braught from Syria or wherever...

I knew I got a couple Aleppo strains but only found 1 before.

EDIT:

Second one is PI 181864 Aleppo 37.

There are probably many more that are not in GRIN, or that are duplicated. The real question is, is that the variety used to make Churiso. The foodie/hippies that I know who are being taught by the mad Frenchie French chef, say the pepper has to be the Aleppo used to make Churiso.

There are probably many more that are not in GRIN, or that are duplicated. The real question is, is that the variety used to make Churiso. The foodie/hippies that I know who are being taught by the mad Frenchie French chef, say the pepper has to be the Aleppo used to make Churiso.

DP, I don't want to be presumptuous. What is Churiso? I thought Aleppos were Turkish or Syrian (as previously mentioned), and not French.

Looks like we can cross reference Halaby as well, but I still haven't found seed. Let me see if I can source from Syria through a friend...

DP, I don't want to be presumptuous. What is Churiso? I thought Aleppos were Turkish or Syrian (as previously mentioned), and not French.

Choriso is a Spanish sausage, which I previously misspelled. French comes into as the culinary instructor is French, and the students take what he says as gospel. According to him and thus them, you need Aleppo to make it correctly/authentically.

Does anyone have a source for some Aleppo pepper seeds? It is also called the Halaby pepper.

Thanks.

World Spice Merchants next to Pike Place Market in Seattle advertises to have Aleppo Pepper, but probably in the powder form. Sells for $2.00/oz. Might be worth calling them to see if they have seeds or where to find some.

If you go to Penzey's Spices and look up Aleppo pepper powder you find this description

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysaleppopepper.html

Aleppo Pepper
This Turkish crushed chili has an ancho-like flavor with a little
more heat and tartness. Put a jar right on the table and shake on
pizza, subs and salads. Aleppo Pepper is great on grilled meats like
chicken breast, steak, chops and our flavorful, easy Turkish
Kabobs. Aleppo Pepper also makes an attractive sprinkle for
potato, chicken and tuna salad and deviled eggs too. Try mixing
Aleppo Pepper with our Greek Seasoning for flavorful
roast chicken, tasty pork chops, and robust salads. Aleppo Pepper
is also known as halaby pepper.

Aleppo is a town in Syria. So any pepper from Aleppo could be called Aleppo and that is probably why the ascensions are so many. They probably collected all of them in or near the town of Aleppo.

The real question is what pepper is used to make the good Aleppo pepper spice that tastes so good. There has recently been a lot of excitement on the internet about this spice or pepper in the foodie groups. Apparently many people really like the flavor. Some people speculate that the Aleppo powder is really a mixture of different peppers. But there is no basis for that except that they did not find the pepper seeds to grow so speculated. Unfortunately it has only been a couple of years since the good flavor of this spice has been discovered by non Serian people in USA so we are just now discovering what is around.

It reminds me of the early months of trying to find the Bhuts. They were almost impossible to find. Finally the Pepper Institute made them available and they spread very quickly. Today there are lots of seed vendors selling them.

I would love to grow some Aleppo peppers and see what we get. Hopefully someone will get a few to get them multiplying.

Maybe if anyone has purchased any Aleppo Powder from Penzey's can comment on the taste and flavor and heat etc.

From what I have found of the Aleppo pepper from World Markets or Penzeys is that they have been dried at a temp that the seeds, if there are any whole ones after the grinding process, are dead.

You can synthesize the taste with a recipe of several easily/readily available peppers, but I have already had the "authenticity" argument, and lost.

Eephus, if you can get some seed or a variety of "Aleppo"seed, from your friend in Syria, and be willing to share, I would be grateful.

Eephus, if you can get some seed or a variety of "Aleppo"seed, from your friend in Syria, and be willing to share, I would be grateful.

If I get seed, a few of us are going to have a grow out and start dispersing it thereafter. I'd love to be able to have this be more available outside of its points of origin.

I'm putting seed in hands more talented than my own, to be sure. :D

If I get seed, a few of us are going to have a grow out and start dispersing it thereafter. I'd love to be able to have this be more available outside of its points of origin.

I'm putting seed in hands more talented than my own, to be sure. :D

I will make seeds and offer them for free to everyone on this web site next fall as soon as I get them. no problem.

I wonder if aleppo is available in Isreal? isreal borders syria though the two nations do not have diplomatic relations food is one of those issues that holds no boundaries.
perhaps omri member knows of a source - who knows, maybe he goes for pizza and aleppo shakers are on every table - like salt.

I wonder if aleppo is available in Isreal? isreal borders syria though the two nations do not have diplomatic relations food is one of those issues that holds no boundaries.
perhaps omri member knows of a source - who knows, maybe he goes for pizza and aleppo shakers are on every table - like salt.

Peppers Without Borders!!

My buddy is looking (via his wife and mother) for seed among friends and family first, but says he will also check in Syria if need be. If that's the case, he says, we may be looking at Fall growouts, or you non-dirties will get some first. :)

Back