• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

All of our habaneros are bad!

Hi all,

This is our second year of growing peppers. Last year we grew gypsy peppers, jalapenos, and cayennes. This year we found a wider variety of peppers. We have mini bells, purple beauty bells, tabasco, habanero, "chili grande," jalapeno, and cayennes.

Aside from a moldy mini bell, all of our peppers have been doing well... except for the habaneros. We have four habanero plants, all about two feet tall. The plants look good; it's just the peppers that are bad. The first few peppers had black speckly mold inside and a later one had bluish fuzz, so we didn't eat them. Some of the later peppers were free of the mold (though some of the seeds looked black), but they smelled terrible. They didn't smell like peppers at all and they were not very hot. We cut off a green habanero to see if it smelled better than the others (the others were all orange). It smelled only slightly better than the riper habaneros yet it still had that gross, unpepper-y smell.

What caused this? I read that the mold could have been caused by damp, cool temperatures or bugs. If this is all due to bugs, why are the habaneros the only affected plants? We have different plants in between the habaneros and only one pepper has been moldy.

We live in Canada in zone 2b/3a. The spring was cool and wet; the summer warm and dry. I personally do not water the plants but I believe they are watered every other day.

Did they happen to look like this inside?

But don't ask me what causes it, as I'm still try to figure it out.
I just cut all the bad ones off and hoped for the best for the rest of the pods that were on the plants.
Solved my problem in a sense but still haven't figured it out. Water I was told. But at the same time I had bug problems.
Bugs are gone now, Neemed them.
Most of fungied pods were on the bottom of the plants so just about figured water possible splashing up on pods from watering plants.
Still confused over it, but all's well now.

I do have a fair %, a little under 5% of full sized pods and 50% of undersized pods (maybe 8% total) of certain chinense pods that have dark blueish mold inside though not as much as k skwerl pictured. I attribute it to either insects carrying mold spores around on them when pollinating the blooms, or water splashing up from the ground onto blooms. I have not seen any direct insect damage to the pods.

Not sure what to make of the funny smell. Habs and other chinense do have a particular smell that's different from the others you grew in the past, a very slighty sour, citrus smell (along with other notes dependent on the strain of plant) that goes away when cooked. If there is no mold and the flesh is firm I'd go ahead and eat one to see how it tastes, at worst you can just spit it out though if it smells bad enough to be called gross you probably won't like the taste either.

Thanks for the link.

I didn't get a good look at the blue/grey moldy one, so I'm not sure if it looked like that. The others just had black dots all over the inside. I'll take a photo next time I see a moldy one.

My first season growing but saved a Hab b4 winter hit got a load of seeds but none will germ so ur one step a head of me lol! From what I've read a bad season on fungi infested Habs could be good if u over winter as it produces more capsicum as a defense and next season of there head! Scientifficlay speaking :)

So with all these Viruses and Mold, will they be present as well next year, even if they were treated to an extent this year.

I grew a few pepper plants in an old flower garden area I made a few years back. If the spores are still there in the soil lying dormant in a sense til next year, is there any way I can treat the soil in hopes of them not returning?

The Mold if cause by overwatering can be taken care of by less watering, but as for a Virus??????

I lost quite a few peppers to these problems this year and is getting late in season for ripening of the good ones I have left.

Any thoughts?

Back