• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

almost 3 weeks in, and 0 / 9 Chocolate Habanero have sprouted

I went through 2 packs of seeds to get a single chocolate hab sprout, and by the time I'd gone through all of them it was too late for the growing season last year.

That sprout's been doing well though.

Right on the 4th week i have 2 sprouts and 1 peeker.

444AF6A7-FCCA-4B46-B36B-FADA366A9C0B-33747-00000E23575E061E_zps15dc1b9d.jpg

Definately behind the rest

Congrats on them finally germing. You really should be working on getting them under lights when they pop. As some of them sprouts look like "Jack's bean stalk"! LOL Other wise congrats and best of luck on your years grow. An it only gets more addictting from here on out!

Edit: An if you have lights to put them under. When the first sprout shows it's above soil. The heat from the lights will usually sprout the other seeds in the pot. If that's what you're shooting for.

I got my chocolate hab seeds from pepperjoe, I sowed 6 of them, and had three sprout and that's as far as they got.... The rates and times were the same as my other varieties....

T5's are plenty good. It'll take a little trial and error on how close to keep them. Patrick says 8-10 inches high. That would be a good starting point. (If they get leggy lower them, an if they sunburn in the first day raise them) Just in my own experience. Higher was better in my setup. An maybe just me, but I run mine 18 on 6 off. With good growth results. Just a little heads up. If, in a pretty enclosed area, T5's still put off a ton of heat. Find a way to monitor the pot and seedling temps.

These are my Chocolate Habs that came up. I have never seen such anemic looking starts. They actually came up before the 7-pots just to the right. I potted everything else up last night, and dropped 5 more choco hab seeds on Saturday so we'll see if they do any better. When I dug them up there were no roots really. The initial taproot went down maybe 2 or 3 mm and that was it.

IMG_20130223_213154_454_zpse148b554.jpg

Back