• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Almost time for tabasco sauce making.

Have a little over two pounds of tabasco peppers in the freezer, waiting for more to ripen. In the meantime going to try to simulate an old Jack Daniels barrel and have these oak cubes soaking. Gonna let them soak about a month or so, air dry them and hit them with a torch for the char taste. Once the grow season is over going to start the fermentation on the peppers and incorporate the oak cubes into the ferment. Let set indefinitely until desired taste is achieved.

Attachments

• tabasco pepper.jpg
    tabasco pepper.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 134
  • jackoakcubes.jpg
    jackoakcubes.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 128
Yes, I'll add the oak cubes later in the process, just started the ferment yesterday(2.5.20). Going to let the tabasco/garlic set for about 2 months. Once it starts to get warmer outside going to air dry the cubes and hit them with a torch then stir them into the ferment. Seal it all back up and let them sit for whenever I feel its time to blend.

Very interesting. I'm not a big fan of tabasco myself but their process is legendary. I don't know of any other hot sauce that goes 3 years on a ferment.

In my own journey I'm at the point where I wanna pull my ferment after a month cuz Im too anxious to make something with it. I need to curb this habit like it's an addiction, but it's easier said than done.

Back