• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Alright then... Back in the game...

After a long rest period recovering from what I can only describe as a newbie start from hell (Thread 1 | Thread 2 | Thread 3 | Thread 4), I am going to tempt fate and start over again. I've bleached and rinsed every surface, pot, and tool possible, thrown away all soil and am now deciding what chilis to start planting.

I have amassed over 49 different types of seeds and need your input on what to plant and what to wait till Jan/Feb for. Bear in mind that these will be grown soley indoors, over the winter, in Finland, under (mostly) artificial lights.

7 pod
Aji Benito
Bird Pepper, Bahamas
Bolivian Rainbow
C01172
C. Exile
Cascabel
Cap 1473 "Microcarpum"
Cap 1478
Cap 1491
CGN 22795
Champion
Cherry Bomb
Chi-Chien
Chili Manaus
Congo
Demon Red
E Ultra Pube
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Fatalii's Surprize Seeds?
Fluorescent Purple
Goats Weed
Habanero, Red
Habanero, Dutch F2
Habanero, Orange
Hungarian Hot Cherry
Hungarian Hot Wax
Inca Red Drop
Ivorian Pimente
Jalapeno, Summer Heat F1 Hybrid
Jalapeno, Green
Lemon Drop
Naga Jolokia (although these seeds were taken from one of the diseased plants - thoughts on use?)
Naga Morich
Numex Twilight
Heatwave
Peter Pepper, Red
PI 260433
Pimenta De Neyde
Pinocchio's nose
Purira
Purple Tiger
Scotch Bonnet, Red
Serrano Vera
Short Yellow Tabasco
Tepin, Cocina da Frieda
Tepin, Eastern Travis County
Thai Chili

TheChileMan.org full list

So... Any ideas?

I'd say skip the Naga Jolokia. No reason to risk another disaster, especially for an average pepper like the Naga Jolokia. I'm assuming it's the Frutescens and not the C. Chinese. Even so, I'd say skip it and go with known good seed.

I'd also suggest starting with fewer varieties until you're sure they will grow up healthy. Thai Chilies and Lemon Drops are probably some of the easiest to grow.

ZanderSpice said:
I'd also suggest starting with fewer varieties until you're sure they will grow up healthy. Thai Chilies and Lemon Drops are probably some of the easiest to grow.

That is a very good idea actually. I'm going to do a few seeds tomorrow to get it started and see what's what.

Perhaps, Red Habs as well as I have plenty of those seeds. Perhaps I should stick to ones I have a lot of seeds for. But quite frankly if the disease is still around after all this i'm not quite sure what I should do.

Good Luck! Habaneros and other C. Chinese seem to be a little tougher to grow, especially indoors but if you've got the lights and the patience then go for it!

Nice seed collection by the way.

The containers may contain the disease. What are those white and cement ones? They look like urns from the graveyard.
I mean this in the nicest way: I'm not sure you understand the concept of drainage. Most all excess water must be evacuated. Peppers don't like wet nasty roots.

ABurningMouth said:
The containers may contain the disease. What are those white and cement ones? They look like urns from the graveyard.
I mean this in the nicest way: I'm not sure you understand the concept of drainage. Most all excess water must be evacuated. Peppers don't like wet nasty roots.

The first thing I did was drill holes in all of the containers. One large 10ml hole and then 3 subsequent 4ml surrounding the larger hole. So they had proper drainage. Quite funny you mention they look like urns, they remind me of urban decay and old abandoned apartment buildings. I really like the contrast between growing stuff in them and what they reminded me of. As for the disease being in the containers I did think of that but they had been in the containers for at least 5-6 months before the disease became apparent, that doesn't mean they aren;t the cause, however my girlfriend potted a sweet pepper plant in a plastic cup and that too became infected. I'm beginning to think it was in the soil.

POTAWIE said:
I agree with Zanderspice, thats a lot of varieties especially for a newbie
What is this jalapeno green?

Yeah, I got carried away buying rare seeds and swapping them. Mostly in a drunken stupor ordering more. I'm not going to be planting all of them yet, most are from this year so will last another year or two before planting I believe.

The Jalapeno Green was some random packet of seeds i picked up from some garden store somewhere. I imagine they are just normal Jalapeno's incorrectly labeled.

Yes, lets wait and see. I've planted 6 Nagas with soil from a brand new packet. If they don't start showing the effects of the disease after 6 weeks, I'll plant more.

Ok those 6 nagas have turned into 20. I planted 3-4 seeds per pot and they have nearly all sprouted. Nice. Just have to play the waiting game now.

Good luck on your new seedlings. I'm still trying to work on my new much larger closet. I would have went with orang hab and lemon drop. Spice and flavor work ohh so well together. My favorite powder by far is my orange hab mixed with ahi pineapple powder.

LGHT said:
I would have went with orang hab and lemon drop. Spice and flavor work ohh so well together. My favorite powder by far is my orange hab mixed with ahi pineapple powder.

Thanks. I shall have to try to remember that as it sounds really nice.

If they are disease free I'm planing to give away most of the plants once they reach a certain stage and then start on my real collection. I didn't really expect all the seeds to do so well.

buggedcom said:
Thanks. I shall have to try to remember that as it sounds really nice.

If they are disease free I'm planing to give away most of the plants once they reach a certain stage and then start on my real collection. I didn't really expect all the seeds to do so well.

I know what you mean I was planning on growing about 30 or so plants, but the directions said put 3 seeds in each peat puck and I filled up all 75 pucks with 3 seeds. Just my luck all, but a few sprouted in a few days. lol. Lets just say everyone I know has a pepper plant ;)

LGHT said:
Good luck on your new seedlings. I'm still trying to work on my new much larger closet. I would have went with orang hab and lemon drop. Spice and flavor work ohh so well together. My favorite powder by far is my orange hab mixed with ahi pineapple powder.

Mmm that powder sounds good.
Right now I have a bunch of year old plants to give away or sell on ebay or whatever. I hate to see them die. "No plant left behind" and all that.
I say "If you can't come out of the closet, build a bigger one so at least you'll be comfortable."
Buggedcom- Show some pics of the little buggers.

Argggh! I think I've got it still. I've killed off one seedling.

Anyway here are some pics.

P1070585.jpg

P1070596.jpg

P1070587.jpg

probs and good news.

I don't think the disease is still around, however I'm having issues with dropping leaves. I think, it's because it's overwatering however I'm not too sure. I also have a problem with yellowing leaves, although I'm using a fert designed for chilis and can be used from seedling stage. That said there are one or two really healthy plants (although a tad small for how long they have been growing). Anyway here are the pics.

P1070611.JPG

P1070614.JPG

P1070615.JPG

Back