• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Aluminum foil

Stupid question, I'm using aluminum foil for light reflection, does it matter which side? The shiney or duller side? I tried to search for it first.......

+1 - Shiny side.

But note: The only stupid question is the one not asked. Good to try researching on your own, but sometimes you have to so carefully word your search, you can't get the valid results without somehow already knowing what you're looking for. Ya did good trying to research on your own first!

Use the dull side, it scatters the light evenly vs reflecting it like a mirror. But if you really want the most light reflected, use white Tyvek paper.

both sides have a valid argument... shiny side could produce localized light intensity and burning but has maximum reflectivity, dull side would provide diffuse light if you're using high powered lights.
An item in the burpee catalog got me thinking... the best thing to use would really be a red background that is in the 660nm color spectrum since the material absorbs everything except the color we see; the red wavelength increases yields and creates larger plants

Photosynthesis occurs in the blue light range as well.
Photosynthetic01.jpg

yes, it does. but I do not want to hijack this thread any more than i already have.

best bet would probably be dull side for intense light, shiny side for not so intense light.

Back