• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

am i blowing it????

Okay, I need help... I planted pepper seeds( variety of types) ten days ago and not one of them has sprouted yet!! Granted I have not grown from seed for a couple years.... scared i lost my touch...lol.
Some seed was fresh new stuff others were a year or two old. Is the seed age the problem? Or am I just impatient this year?? Help please!!

Took about 12 days for mine, so by me (not a professional hehe) its perfectly fine. 2 weeks after they sprouted they are looking amazing and growing really fast!

It mainly depends on species and the conditions the seed is in (heat, humidity, medium, etc).

Super hots took about 12 to 16 days for me. As far as old seed it depends on how you saved them. If you kept them in a cool dry place I'd say they're good.

Good luck. Waiting can be nerve wracking, but it really pays to be patient.

,Vegas

Agree. I've had a couple varieties that took 3 weeks. After that, though, I'd say start over. And yes, your seeds should be fine, as far as age goes. However, be aware that if you didn't give them a bath in a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water before trying to start them, if any had not-yet-visible mold spores on them, getting them moist will re-activate the mold spores. That's part of why I say if they don't sprout by the 3-week mark to start over - could well be that the seeds succumbed to mold once you got them wet.

80% or so of my seeds sprout just fine depending on the source etc.. and I've never used hydrogen peroxide even once during germination.
The way your post reads, it might make someone think if they didn't pre-soak then to just toss them and start over.
That's just not the case.
If some don't pop after a couple weeks I usually do replace them, but I keep them around and more often than not a few will pop of the ones I set aside.
I've also had some come up after 30 days, and on occasion long after from the pellet initially having more than one seed, ill get a sprout pop up next to a fairly mature plant.

ok at this point I think I will just wait it out and see , without stressig over it. If I have to I will start over, but at that point I will be wondering if the older seed is any good or not. Thanks everyone for your input.

80% or so of my seeds sprout just fine depending on the source etc.. and I've never used hydrogen peroxide even once during germination.
The way your post reads, it might make someone think if they didn't pre-soak then to just toss them and start over.
That's just not the case.
If some don't pop after a couple weeks I usually do replace them, but I keep them around and more often than not a few will pop of the ones I set aside.
I've also had some come up after 30 days, and on occasion long after from the pellet initially having more than one seed, ill get a sprout pop up next to a fairly mature plant.

I think geeme was just giving some good advice and a possible explanation on non-starters. (that if by 3 weeks there is no hook, could be mold . . .) If you want to make sure to have a certain number of plants, go ahead and start more at the 3 week point. If not, then just chill and enjoy the grow of the ones you have left . . .

Oh, and if you have the space, go ahead and keep the others around, see if they pop . . .

I think geeme was just giving some good advice and a possible explanation on non-starters. (that if by 3 weeks there is no hook, could be mold . . .) If you want to make sure to have a certain number of plants, go ahead and start more at the 3 week point. If not, then just chill and enjoy the grow of the ones you have left . . .

Oh, and if you have the space, go ahead and keep the others around, see if they pop . . .

Yeah, I kind of messed up my reply. I was agreeing with everything just that the hydrogen peroxide wasn't a deal breaker.

Back