• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Am I too late.

No, don't start rocotos (pubescens) and baccatums, if you sow chinenses now you will get a late harvest but you should be fine. No issue at all for annuums. But you should start asap.

I look at it this way -- if you don't start them, you're guaranteed you'll have no results. 

If you start some and they don't produce pods, you'll still have beautiful healthy plants and, most valuable of all, experience.

INM Sauces said:
Is it too late to start peppers in the UK?
Depends on the pepper and whether you will over winter.

It's never too late if you over winter.

It's only Feb so assuming your growing season doesn't end til late August (Spetember if you're lucky) then you have plenty of time for many Annuums. Give up on most Chinenses and there is no way you can get an outdoor crop from Pubescenses in the UK anyway. Baccatuums and Fruitenses I honestly couldn't say, I don't have a broad enough knowledge of all the cultivars.

I am in the south east and I haven't even started my Annuums yet. I like to wait til the frosts stop and get them straight out after starting. That doesn't work with all cultivars though.

Which pepper cultivars were you specifically thinking of growing?

I beg to differ on those pubescens, I live in the Netherlands with the same climate as the UK and do get good harvest (though late in the season) of pubescens. They usually are still ripening in october as they need much less heat for ripening.  Just make sure you start them around newyear so that you plant them out as adult plants.

I live in the northeast of the US. I started red savinas, fataliis, paper lanterns, and red habs last year first week in March. I had ripe peppers despite severe bacterial leaf spot and leaf loss 3rd week in August. They grow slowly under my T5s, but once they take hold in the garden they grow like weeds. So an important thing is when you plant out, and in what kind of weather. IF you can get them out mid May, they'll take off just in time to give you a late summer early fall harvest. Just make sure you plant them out in FULL sun.

spicymeatball said:
I live in the northeast of the US. I started red savinas, fataliis, paper lanterns, and red habs last year first week in March. I had ripe peppers despite severe bacterial leaf spot and leaf loss 3rd week in August. They grow slowly under my T5s, but once they take hold in the garden they grow like weeds. So an important thing is when you plant out, and in what kind of weather. IF you can get them out mid May, they'll take off just in time to give you a late summer early fall harvest. Just make sure you plant them out in FULL sun.
agree with spiceymeatball , definitely get you some ghost going , they grow fast .      :onfire:

Back