• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ammonium toxicity?

Hi everyone, i planted 2 pairs of choco Moruga and Butch T

they're about 1.5 month old now.

About 3 weeks ago, i separated them with different treatment:
1 pair using hydroponic DWC under LED growlight 18 hours/day. The nutrient at EC 2 , pH range between 6 - 6.4 
and the other pair only using compost, i put it outdoor with 7 hours direct sunlight and water them regularly. 

The problem is the indoor one have really huge leaves  which seem abnormal compare to the outdoor one. A local hydro expert said the indoor one might have "ammonium toxicity" , he predicted they won't produce pod in the future. 

does anyone ever had the same issue with mine? what cause it? and will the indoor produce any pods later? 

any comments will be appreciated thanks :)

- Jef 

IMAG1787.jpg

From what I have seen, those early stage hydro peppers do much better. They develop HUGE leaves. You think that is big? There is one guy here with a leaf bigger than your face. If there was enough ammonia in the water to cause an issue, I believe the PH would be extremely out of whack.

I do believe though that an EC of 2 EXTREMELY high. That's about 1400ppm! A full thriving pepper plant only needs about 1.2 EC. Back off the nutes. I think the plant will be fine though.

The one in the sun has smaller leaves because it is getting direct sun. The plants develop larger leaves indoors in an effort to try to catch more light. The sun provides more than enough light for the plants and they don't need to grow big leaves to catch more of it. I see it every year. My indoor starts get leaves as big as my hand, but once the go outside, all new growth is only about 1/4 the size of the indoor growth.

They appear to be healthy... if they were exposed to too much nitrogen they would be burned at the tips, wilted, or be a very, very deep almost black shade of green...  However, it is true that if your nitrogen ratios are too high then they will tend to not produce peppers.... that is a fact.  It is a good thing to have high nitrogen ratios in the early, vegetative stage of growth.  Once they are about 15 inches tall it is time to start boosting the P and K values.

Sarge said:
From what I have seen, those early stage hydro peppers do much better. They develop HUGE leaves. You think that is big? There is one guy here with a leaf bigger than your face. If there was enough ammonia in the water to cause an issue, I believe the PH would be extremely out of whack.

I do believe though that an EC of 2 EXTREMELY high. That's about 1400ppm! A full thriving pepper plant only needs about 1.2 EC. Back off the nutes. I think the plant will be fine though.

Hi Sarge, any suggestion with the EC level for the veg. stage? anyway i'm using the 0.5 conversion from EC to ppm so it's around 1000ppm = EC 2

thank you :)
Noah Yates said:
They appear to be healthy... if they were exposed to too much nitrogen they would be burned at the tips, wilted, or be a very, very deep almost black shade of green...  However, it is true that if your nitrogen ratios are too high then they will tend to not produce peppers.... that is a fact.  It is a good thing to have high nitrogen ratios in the early, vegetative stage of growth.  Once they are about 15 inches tall it is time to start boosting the P and K values.

Hi noah, too bad we dont have many commercial nuts around here. I've been using local formulator nuts all this time, so far the veg. stage is ok but when it comes to flowering, flower buds starting to fall off so i've decided to add 1mg of MKP (Mono Kalium Phosphate) per liter 

Back