• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

An attempt to make a hot sauce

6029600735_1469ebbe3a.jpg

Being my 1st time I'll start off small and keep it simple
5 habs with pith and seeds
1/4c coconut oil
3cloves garlic
1 medium white onion
5 carrots
2tbsp lemon juice
2tsp salt

Surprisingly it tastes pretty good, a nice bit o'heat straight up but on food it's not as hot as I would have liked. After eating it a few time I decided to give it more of a kick so out came the ghost chili powder. Put the sauce back in the vitamix and added 1tsp of the ghost, it's plenty hot now!

Good job man. Interesting with the coconut. I just made my first one Monday. Certainly learn a lot. Keep it up!

What about your PH levels? Are you keeping it refrigerated? I could be wrong but 2 TBSP of Lemon Juice doesn't seem like enough to keep the acid at the right levels.

ph? nope and it's in the fridge. Will have to pickup some ph strips.

If you use ex-virgin (has all the flavor) coconut oil you can taste it in the background. If you use expeller pressed it's like using any other flavorless oil.

The color is nice, thank you.

Congrats on your first. Sounds like a could be a bit thick and grainy. With the oil you probably need an emulsifier.

Congrats on your first. Sounds like a could be a bit thick and grainy. With the oil you probably need an emulsifier.

It's creamy smooth but a tad thick, reminds me of jarred baby food. Wasn't sure how to go about thinning. I like the way it tastes and don't want to ruin the flavor, was great on pulled pork! Searched can't find anything, do I just add water?

The coconut adds a slight sweetness and hint of tropical flavor.

I pulled about 1/4c of the sauce aside to thin, added 1/4c water. Didn't effect the flavor but did reduce the heat some, will add a bit more ghost powder to bring it back up.

I'm in Fairfield

I have to agree the coconut oil is strange. Are you aware that @ room temperature and below; coconut oil is a solid? So I'm surprised you didn't end up with more of a hot pudding when the sauce is cold.

Back