• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

An old family meal of ours, strudel

So yesterday for the fourth I made an old family recipe my mother's grandmother called strudel. It ain't a dessert. And isn't a pretty meal. My sister in law couldn't even bring herself to try it last night. I always liked the taste though, so wtf-

The "strudels" are made from scratch, 1 package of yeast dissolved in a 1/2 cup of warm to hot water. 1/2 teaspoon of salt and sugar, and one egg. Mix in 2 cups of flour, add a little more water is necessary to make a dough ball. I put it in a warm spot for at least an hour and let it rise.

IMG_5927.jpg

IMG_5930.jpg

Divided the dough into fat golf ball sized chunks and rolled em out. Insides get brushed with bacon drippin's and sprinkled with caraway seeds.

IMG_5934.jpg

IMG_5936.jpg

Didn't get the rolls very uniform, was hurryin' and stuff. Maybe it was the beer?

So I had a bunch of potatos boilin' in some cheap beer and some water for a bit while I was rolling out the stuff.

IMG_5931.jpg

Added some kielbasa and brats and the strudels. Add more liquid to cover, put the lid on, bring to a boil and then kinda simmered it. Was missin my good butcher shop brats, they ran out on Friday. Looks like a buncha organs and intestines in there or somethin'... Added some kraut during the last five min of cooking.

IMG_5937.jpg

After about a half hour, pour the mess into bowl! Kinda monochromatic.

IMG_5939.jpg

Put mess onto plate, tell stories of the old country! Which for me is Wisconsin I guess.

IMG_5940.jpg

I eat it with a good strong mustard and horseradish. And actually dig it. As I said- not a pretty plate, but I had to post it up for teh lulz...

Back