• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

An Unknown Pepper

This pod may still be a little too young to figure out what it's supposed to be, but I have no idea what it is. I know what seeds I ordered, but I can't trust that, seeing as how some of them turned out to be regular habs and some turned out to be plain old sweet bell peppers (from Amazon, not eBay...lesson learned). Anyway, the common orange habs turned out like they were supposed to. I'm currently on my second harvest of those - 100+ pods from two plants on the first harvest... not bad!I ordered Peter peppers, scorpions, bhuts, and choc. habs along with the commons. This is the last of the ones I ordered that have yet to be identified.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
8072078267_02f6f46910_b.jpg
[/url] Unknown by PA_Ridge, on Flickr[/img]http://
8072078267_02f6f46910_b.jpg
Unknown by PA_Ridge, on Flickr

Okay. This little guy is starting to ripen now. Here are some updated pics. Still no clue what it is. It's too small to be a bhut, and definitely not a hab, by the heat signature. The flavor is similar to a hab, but I can eat a whole one, chew it for a good 20 seconds or so before any heat kicks in, and then it feels like a diesel fire burning in my mouth! Not intolerable at all (for me, anyway), but the heat level is close to hab heat. It just sets in differently. Any ideas?

Untitled by PA_Ridge, on Flickr

I made sure to keep this plant completely segregated (15-20 feet) from my habs to make sure there would be no cross pollinating. Of course, that doesn't mean they didn't end up doing just that, because some of my habs are a little "longer" than usual, but don't have the gnarly, bumpy texture these do. To me, these look like ghosts, but are only about 2" long. They're hot.... really hot. It's a slow, throbbing burn that gets more persistent as it burns, and then fades out after about 15 minutes.

As for the cross pollination: that would have happened with the parents of this plant, not this plant itself. Cross pollination shows up in the next generation of offspring(seedlings from this plants pods), not the current generation of pods. Were the parent plants isolated as well?

Bees can cross pollinate those peppers for a far greater distance than that. A general rule is:
Pepper Ashworth recommended distance 500 feet USDA distance 30 feet Pollination by: self, insects

Has the shape and color of a Naga Morich IMO. I would have said Fatalii until you described the heat level. I truly think there will come a point soon where there will be so many crosses that we just won't know what the hell we are growing anymore....other than the few that still have pure or wild strains.

Yeah I'll agree with king on that point, it looks like a naga cross of something, I only trust seeds that I get from various members here that let me know if they keep their plants under nets and anything else I just assume will be a cross, sometime a accidental cross can be a better deal at least for the first season then all bets are off as what it might be like the next season, sometimes you get lucky and some times not. If you like the flavor then its a winner.

Morich, my guess... according to what I saw today. But I'm still learning, so....

Anyway, the plant is gone now. Thunderstorm snapped it in half and destroyed it. I'm replacing it with Devil's tongue and Jay's peach ghost scorpions

I wish I had waited it out to see if it grew back. I'm sure it would have. It had plenty of green on it..... but alas. I yanked it and tossed it out. Needed the space for this year's grow. Devil's tongues and ghost scorpions... even trade, maybe?

Before I tossed it.....

8476564006_bae5dbc8a2_b.jpg

Back