• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: MoA ferments

Updates to light shelving:

AnnsGlog2014updatetolights1_zps75e50865.jpg

AnnsGlog2014updatetolights2_zps17b151cb.jpg

Like the way mylar insulated car shades keep light in.

Seeds in flats after KN03 and H202 overnight soak:

Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat1_zps44788eea.jpg

Flat 2: "others"  (list posted later):

Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat3_zpsba6a829a.jpg

Blurry pic above? Finished this at 5am. Pic at 8am. On manual, I moved. :rofl:

Flat 3:
Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat2_zps4d14086f.jpg

Flat 4:

Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat4_zps62347ea2.jpg

List:

The Hab and Bonnet Family:

Bahamian Goat (Greg/PIC1 and Grant/JungleRain)
Brazilian Starfish (Judy/Pepper lover)
Chocolate Habañero (mine)
Elongated Black Hab (Refining Fire)
Habajolokia Brown (Old Barn Nursery/Buckeye)
Harolds St. Bart x West Indies Hab (Meatfreak/Stefan)--planted 1-21-14
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (mine and seed saved from Pia/Sanarda, others)
Jamaican Red Hab (mine 2013 from Walkgood 2012-2013)
Jamaican Red Mushroom (Refining Fire)
Peach Hab (Jason/GA Growhead)
Red Squash/Mushroom (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (Judy/Pepperlover)
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama (Meatfreak/Stefan)--new planted 1-21-14
Scotch Bonnet Long (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet Market (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet MoA red (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet MoA yellow (Steve, Ramon/Walkgood/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (mine)
White Hab Stinger Pod (Paul G)
White Habañero (Jeff/Bodeen, Jason GA Growhead)
Choc Hab Hand Grenade F3 (Tasty Peppers/Meatfreak/Stefan)—planted 1-21-14

The Supers:

7 Pod Brown x Naga (mine from Jamie/Romy6 2012)
Barrackpore (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
Bhut Orange Copenhagen (Jason/GA Growhead)
Black Naga (JJJesse and Pia/Sanarda)
Bonda Ma Jacques (mine)
Bubblegum 7 (Pia/Sanarda and Jason GA Growhead)
Burgundy 7 Pot (Jeff/Bodeen seed)
Butch T (Refining Fire and Judy/freebie—THANK YOU JUDY!)
Butch T Yellow (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Choc Bhut x Yellow 7 F5 (Grant/JungleRain )
Chocolate Barrackpore (Jason/GA Growhead)
Chocolate Bhut (Judy/plover THANK YOU!/Buckeye)
Chocolate Moruga (Refining Fire)
Daisy Cutter MA Yellow (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Douglah (mine/Jamie Romy 6 from 2012)
Fatalii White (Greg/PIC1)
Fatalii Yellow (mine)
Funky Reaper (Scott/Devv)
Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorp (Jason/GA Growhead/Hillbilly Jeff)
Madballz (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
King Naga (probably same as King Naga, Judy/pepperlover)
Naga Tabasco (Grant/Junglerain)
Orange 7 (Judy/Pepper lover, freebie!)
Orange Thai (THANK YOU JASON! GA Growhead!)
Peach Bhut (Judy/pepperlover, Ramon/Walkgood, Jeff/Hillbilly Jeff)
Pimenta Elisir Bhut x Neyde (OBNursery/Buckeye) aka “Lisa 1”
Pimenta Lisa F-2 (Meatfreak/Stefan) aka "Lisa 2"--planted 1-21-14
Red Jonah (Jamie/Romy6)
Red Thai (sample seed)
Trinidad Scorpion Red (Romy6/Jamie 2012 seed)
White 7 (Jason/GA Growhead, Jamie/Romy6)
White Bhut (Ramon/Walkgood)
Yellow 7 Giant (mine and Jason/GA Growhead/Judy)
Yellow Bhut (my seeds from 2012/Hillbilly Jeff 2013)
Yellow Brainstrain (mine/Judy)
Yellow Jonah (Grant/Jungle Rain)
Yellow Moruga (mine)
Yellow Primo (Jamie/Romy6)
Tabasco (mine)

Seasoning:

SBYellow x Yellow Brainstrain (Meatfreak/Stefan)
Hawaiian Sweet Hot (Old Barn/Buckeye)—annuum  
Aji Limon (my seed)
Brown Egg (Jason/GA Growhead)
Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
Peruvian Serlano (Jamie/Romy6)—hope these become sweet and fruity like pods Jamie sent
Tobago Seasoning (Judy/pepperlover)
Trinidad Perfume (mine)
Trinidad Scorpion Sweets (Jason/GA Growhead)
West Indies Hab (Pia Sanarda)
Yellow Bouquet (Kevin,/Wayright 2012, 2013 my seed)
Yellow CARDI (mine from seed)
Goat’s Weed (Shane/ Judy)

The Southwestern/Tex Mex:

Pasilla Bajilo (mild, sample seed and mine)
Poblano (mild, sample seed and mine)

Annuums and Standbys:

Big Jim Numex (sample seed and some other company)
Biker Billy (Old Barn Nursery/Buckeye Pepper)
Joe’s Cayenne (Buckeye)
Cayenne (mine)
Cracked Jal/Jalapa (mine)
Giant Jalapeño (mine)
Jal M—(mine)
Purple Jalapeño (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Jalapeños from Stefan/Meatfreak--will update when seeded
Jalapenos from Stefan/Meatfreak--will updated when seeded
Padron
Gochu (meatfreak/Stefan)
Serrano Tampequino (mine)
Sweet Pickle (meatfreak/Stefan)
Yellow cayenne (OBNursery/Buckeye)
Fish (sample seed)
Aleppo (Buckeye)
Urfa Biber (meatfreak/Stefan and Old Barn/BEye pepper)

Not planted annuums yet aside from Goat's Weed, Hawaiian Sweet Hot.

5 peppers got an entire 6 pack; otherwise divided into 3 (half 6-p: yes; 6/2 = 3 [hotdamn am tired]) and will prick out. Entire 6: 1. BOC (Jason/GA Growhead) 2. MoA (but another half-6 of that from Walkgood/Ramon and Steve); 3. Tabasco (mine) 4. Bahamian Goat (Greg PIC1), and 5. JA Hab (Ramon/Walkgood)

Many thanks to Mike Rote/Barley_Pop for jerky :dance:  :drooling:  and Jason/GA Growhead, for sending me my own Orange Thai seed and the hottest damn powder I've ever had! :onfire: Also, thank you, John, Ark/Saw for the Harbor Freight coupons for "torch to burn honeysuckle roots." And everybody who has, via PM or otherwise, encouraged, offered ideas on new, additional growing space: fence is gone and if no rain, fell, limb, buck and split with two splitters 8 big trees, Maple, 4 Hickories, Pecan, Black Walnut, Poplar NEXT WEEKEND! :party:

Also, would like ideas on that new (additional) space (100'+ x 50')  with stumps, most are to side except Maple. 1. burn 2. grind (cost prohibitive and don't think rented grinder would get it but might if ya'll have any ideas) 3. Work around them this year . . . raised beds, ugh, the work or level with huge dump truck topsoil. And again, work around what's left of stumps. Rip it in Feb. REALLY rich humus in half that on the "lots of trees" side: 25' x 100'+. Also, high side. Have considered dozer/bucket end of my and cousin's tractor just to help level and "share the wealth" of humus.

Hope everybody has kick-butt 2014 GROW! :fireball:

Edited 1-21-2014

Spicegeist said:
My naga kings from periperi are similar, they must be the same.  I had a primo crossed with yellow bhuts I gave to sanarda last year, they looked like yellow bhuts... I wonder if anyone is growing those anymore.. oh well...
I have a couple plants going Charles.
You got me there Annie. Everything gets hotter when it crosses here. ;) Too many hot neighbors for it not happen. :D

Spicegeist said:
My naga kings from periperi are similar, they must be the same.  I had a primo crossed with yellow bhuts I gave to sanarda last year, they looked like yellow bhuts... I wonder if anyone is growing those anymore.. oh well...

Lessusjus call this The Periperi Naga? I got some of those from Pia and saved seeds but . . .

GA Growhead said:
I have a couple plants going Charles.
You got me there Annie. Everything gets hotter when it crosses here. ;) Too many hot neighbors for it not happen. :D

Jason would no doubt be growing them! (Jazus, dude! :party: ) I need to send you a care package to taste some stuff. But no worries: I can't hurt you like the Brown Butlah killed me.

annie57 said:

Thank you, SurfinsaScotty! ;) Nope on the latter . . . got this strange feeling that it came from Jason. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Well most of us (me for sure) just OP, so seeds are like a box of chocolates. I did buy some Scotch Bonnet seeds before Ramon sent me the MoA's, they turned out to be a Jamaican Yellow Mushroom. :rolleyes:

Wow, cool pod pictures, Annie. Thanks! Great to see the Harold St. Barts X West Indies grown out and I'm already surprised by both it's shape and color. Mine were Red and more Hab shaped, yours are elongated and Yellow? :lol:

Did you let a kid hold your Hab again? Nice going on the not White Hab ;) Habanero Giant Yellow? :P Are all pods this big?

Nice variegation on the Fish, Annie.  I had some Giant White Habs last year that two of the plants put out yellow/orange pods.  The seeds were from a reputable vendor, though I don't remember which right now.  I think the White Habs just aren't stable yet.  I'm growing both GWH and 7P White this year (from 3 sources) to see what the difference is there.  Nothing ripening, yet.

Devv said:

Well most of us (me for sure) just OP, so seeds are like a box of chocolates. I did buy some Scotch Bonnet seeds before Ramon sent me the MoA's, they turned out to be a Jamaican Yellow Mushroom. :rolleyes:

+1 gazillion Surfinsascottygump. I was just thinking about how close I'd planted those plants, harvested some Funkies (so at least that seed might not have crossed yet and for dinner) and then I thought, "Well, does it matter, when I buy them from vendors and half grow untrue?" But they probably dang-well knew they didn't have "bonnet" seed (probably saw some in a grocery store once and thought was same thing); however others? Grown in big fields close together? Then sell seeds to us? So what's the difference in what I'm doing? Kinda ticked that out of 3 Y7 plants I got 1 yellow but thrilled @ the surprise of P-Lisa-orange so . . . oh and have one regular reaper podded-plant, when all I seeded were Funkies . . . hope they got Funky taste when they ripen. And have a Red Choc Hab pod-plant.

meatfreak said:
Wow, cool pod pictures, Annie. Thanks! Great to see the Harold St. Barts X West Indies grown out and I'm already surprised by both it's shape and color. Mine were Red and more Hab shaped, yours are elongated and Yellow? :lol:

Did you let a kid hold your Hab again? Nice going on the not White Hab ;) Habanero Giant Yellow? :P Are all pods this big?

Stefan: I was in grief process but got to acceptance, pretty danged quick. :rofl: One plant does have red pods! And both make sense given generation of plant. Oh, my, my; oh hell yes: and I have one of what Judy calls a freak, a red Douglah. No; I had no red Douglah seed. On her website she says it's a mutation from the brown Douglah. So have that too. :rolleyes: And yes, ALL the pods are gigantic on that notWH. All yellowing-oranging up. Want some seed?

Sawyer said:
Nice variegation on the Fish, Annie.  I had some Giant White Habs last year that two of the plants put out yellow/orange pods.  The seeds were from a reputable vendor, though I don't remember which right now.  I think the White Habs just aren't stable yet.  I'm growing both GWH and 7P White this year (from 3 sources) to see what the difference is there.  Nothing ripening, yet.

Yeah, Fish were true, this year, John; what is a "reputable vendor?" I mean, they all intend well, but I just wish more would say, "This is F2 and unstable." And "Seeds are OP." But even so, not that am missing the white hab that much, well, debatable, but . . . if yours turn out white this year, do you have my address? Hey; just email them to me :rofl: I have 1 more white Hab that may be white-podded, dunno. Yeah: gotta go about 3 sources on new varieties.

GA Growhead said:
Annie.
Are you really just hinting with me... that you need a few more brown bhutlah SLPs? Is that what your saying? I can get some boxed up in no time. :D

Jason, you're :twisted: . Worst damn cramps ever had in my life (and I prepped! I cannot tell anybody what the damned evil thing tastes like! "It takes like hell.") No; keep that Satanic thing to yourself! Seriously, It was the hottest pepper ever ate, chewed really well, which was hard to do, and I only went half; had such few seeds . . . cannot believe the pain in it . . . dear gawd. Endorphin rush started half-way through half, which speaks volumes, but couldn't feel rush for the pain. Hottest, meanest thing ever eaten. Made my pee hot. TMI? No. Nothing has ever done that. Probably make a nice nuclear powder BLEND.

But ya could "box [me] up a" MFRB of Bubblegum, enough to make the sauce I planned to make w/my NotBG7s and I'll pay ya shipping, and extra! For a ferment, of course. :cool: Am gonna grow out at least 6-8 of those next year from 3 seed sources and hope that I get "real" BG7s. (Just kiddin' ya. Sorta.)

Review of Stefan/Meatfreak's Pimenta "Lisa" Orange Pheno--(from this site, with this pic):

Overall impressions: a possible seasoning pepper in the bhut family, on heat level equivalent to Jamaican Red Habañero gifted so generously by Ramon/Walkgood. However, this a pheno of the "Lisa" F3 (and if am mistaken Stefan, please correct me on generation); would make a great mild sauce. Make a great powder with anything in Peach Bhut family, esp. Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion, as the taste is most reminiscent of that pepper, with more than a hint of fruitiness, or more than Peach Bhut. Or powder, slowly dried on its own. Very crunchy!

Color: peachy orange.

Texture: thick walled; crunchy.

Smell: distinct bhut with faint whiff of ripe pineapple/pears.

Burn/heat: immediate and yet does build some, is more of a mouth--less lip, more all-over mouth--then, back of throat burn; not overwhelming. But just snacking on them walking around garden, will get a nice sweat! again, On par with JA Hab. Very manageable heat.

Taste: like a peach bhut (floral) w/pineapple/pear. Bhuty tropical?

Seed count: low to medium. Lots of tasty placenta. 

Foliage up top: purple like the PDN parent; below green, like bhut parent.

Anns2014Glog8-2StefansPimentaLisaOrange1_zps6f0ed251.jpg

Open, more peachy, nice oils:

Anns2014Glog8-2StefansPimentaLisaOrange2_zpsae0c1cd7.jpg

Thank you for sharing this seed with me, Stefan!

Devv said:
Nice evaluation Annie, and good on Stefan for sharing!

I have those seeds but decided to plant them next season as I had already overloaded my space :shh:

Stefan said I had the only orange pheno of it, so thought would sling that out. Sending him seeds. Hope that Rick writes up one on the other color, if that's what happens for him. Our canopies seem to be similar, however. Who knoweth? Yeppers: we managed, or I managed, to do "space-out," Scotty. Wonder what crosses will "crop up" next year? Dang, would like to stabilize some crosses before crossing them? But . . . why . . .? :rolleyes:

GA Growhead said:
I think we can work out a deal. ;)

Oh? Really!!? :shocked: Like for "realz?" (I'd go valley-girl, aka female elementary to h.s. student, "reeell-lly?" but am too tired. Sat my 10 year old niece most of day. :crazy: ) Thus; Oh? Really?!! *does "excited-chick-possibility-dance" * :party:

Stefan: I was in grief process but got to acceptance, pretty danged quick.  :rofl: One plant does have red pods! And both make sense given generation of plant. Oh, my, my; oh hell yes: and I have one of what Judy calls a freak, a red Douglah. No; I had no red Douglah seed. On her website she says it's a mutation from the brown Douglah. So have that too.  :rolleyes: And yes, ALL the pods are gigantic on that notWH. All yellowing-oranging up. Want some seed?

Your actually right about it, it does make sense being this an F-2 you should get some variation on podshape and color. Curious about the flavor differences between the 2 plants, I expect the heat will be the same. Sure, would love some giant orange Hab seeds :)

What an excellent review, Annie  :clap:  :clap: Wish I could send you fresh pods, your taste buds are a lot better then mine. I'm bad at tasting those distinct flavors. As far as I know you are the only one with pods like this. Mine look a lot different and aren't so elongated.

GA Growhead said:
Like really real!
:D

Like totally I so mad luv u! Along with MoA, BG7 was ONE sauce I really desperately wanted to do. Please, PM me your email addy. :party: You won't do this without me sending you "exchange." Supply-demand, etc. (See, this was the Year of the MoA; but next year, Year of Bubblegum and Other 7's, crosses with Naga and Reaper. Loved your Bubblereap. Tasted like BG7, but tad hotter! Nice job, Jason!

meatfreak said:

Your actually right about it, it does make sense being this an F-2 you should get some variation on podshape and color. Curious about the flavor differences between the 2 plants, I expect the heat will be the same. Sure, would love some giant orange Hab seeds :)

What an excellent review, Annie  :clap:  :clap: Wish I could send you fresh pods, your taste buds are a lot better then mine. I'm bad at tasting those distinct flavors. As far as I know you are the only one with pods like this. Mine look a lot different and aren't so elongated.

Okay, gonna save you some but could be white hab next season. Or . . . a jalapeño. ;)

Thank you, Stefan, for this great pepper! Also, my pineapple could be your mango; as my pear could be your peach. And who knows w/this gen poddage? But wish could keep this flavor. I had some pregnant pods. In fact all the baby pods look pregnant but  have given birth by the time they grow up. (I did just type that? Yeah, did. Sounded so "wrong.") Children having children? :rolleyes:

A favor? When I order seeds from you this year, could you send Bubblegum seed from your plants this year with right calyx and bleed? I can't ask the major vendors to do that. I think they'll continue to sell whatever gen of BG7 seed they have left over, aka unstable. And your kick-a jalapeño. Btw, are any of those jals hybrid, aside from Biker Billy? Will grow BBilly in another bed, isolated. I mean, next year is the year of Bubblegum and 7's. Crossing stuff with Naga in separate area. Bro says he can get up roots on Maple trunk with backhoe. That really extends pepper garden. :party: So, if you have some crosses you want me to try, let me know, and we keep trading seed? ;)

Nice review of the orange PL pods miz Annie! The plant is still unstable enough that I won't take it for gospel when I sample mine, but it makes me hopeful that I get results as good as yours. So far pod shape is a little different in that they show 2-4 lobes and the color is currently a brownish green heavily streaked with purple. It'll be interesting to see what color it ultimately ripens to. Cheers!

stickman said:
 Nice review of the orange PL pods miz Annie! The plant is still unstable enough that I won't take it for gospel when I sample mine, but it makes me hopeful that I get results as good as yours. So far pod shape is a little different in that they show 2-4 lobes and the color is currently a brownish green heavily streaked with purple. It'll be interesting to see what color it ultimately ripens to. Cheers!

And Jamie's got some more true to Stefan's pod shape and color, ripening to that blush purple, which yours may do. But 2 to 4 lobes on bottom? "The MoALisa?" :P

Hey, Rick, please do review those Naga-Tab crosses, Nabasco, as those two, with ripe Jals, 1/2 smoked, in ferment, are my fav "go-to" sauce for fermenting, processing, using. Be nice if the pods had equal tastes of both parents, as fruity sweet depth of Tab offsets floral of Naga. I planted an entire row of Naga, King Naga, with Tabs, hoping for a cross. Ordered some intentionally crossed seed from Grant but didn't germ. Grow was a tad ambitious this year and need to begin in December in order to stagger seeding, take more time: the ones I seeded more shallowly germed lots better; some didn't care. The Guwahati Bhut looks astounding as well. Can't wait for your taste test on that. I got couple ripe MoA yesterday, true pheno, saved seeds, and just ate, with really ripe tomatillos. Thanks for your review of it: my fav tasting mild chinense pepper, and oh, so good, sweet: "tropical!" Gotta get ready for doc appt. Have a great Monday;)  Thanks, hon!

That's a great review Annie! Sets a high bar. I'll need to write up more of my notes!

I struck out on white pods this year too. Amen on the idea of simply noting the generation number or OP on the seed label. But it's all good... everything tastes great and everything is still useful. Can't wait to see what you do with those BG7's.

maximumcapsicum said:
That's a great review Annie! Sets a high bar. I'll need to write up more of my notes!

I struck out on white pods this year too. Amen on the idea of simply noting the generation number or OP on the seed label. But it's all good... everything tastes great and everything is still useful. Can't wait to see what you do with those BG7's.

Thanks, Adam! OMG! (damn, the closer classes resume, the more I talk like them), what I'd give for a big ole harvest of real BG7! (Not that the other Nots won't be put to use. No pod wasted.) But a red moruga does not a BG7 make :snooty: , lol.  Still, will use the red morugs in some powder, infused salt, maybe "hell sauce." But a basic ferment will do with BG7. Maybe w/ an item, soon ripening, that Bobbie Gentry sang about in "Mississippi Delta." (She "picked [her] a bucket of" them.) Know vines upon vines of 'em growing near RR tracks. In process, might order some high dollah cocktail cherries, since fresh are gone here, rinse them, add a few Red Hots. Red Hots work for apple-cinnamon jelly and jam and have to have them to  make my Tiger Sauce copy. Condense some SoCo in final processing with some Thunder Chicken/Screamin' Jesus, reduced "sherry:" "Ghetto Dixie BG." (Now, watch Jason block all my posts!) But seriously . . . :rofl:

It's conceivable that I could, maybe, possibly score a white bhut and maybe white hab. And maybe even White 7 but storms just ate that plant up. Grafted back with more stakes, not dead yet. Y.E.T. = "You're Eligible Too." Maybe. None turned red yet . . . hope springs eternal. :party:

annie57 said:

And Jamie's got some more true to Stefan's pod shape and color, ripening to that blush purple, which yours may do. But 2 to 4 lobes on bottom? "The MoALisa?" :P

Heh, heh... ;)

Hey, Rick, please do review those Naga-Tab crosses, Nabasco, as those two, with ripe Jals, 1/2 smoked, in ferment, are my fav "go-to" sauce for fermenting, processing, using. Be nice if the pods had equal tastes of both parents, as fruity sweet depth of Tab offsets floral of Naga. I planted an entire row of Naga, King Naga, with Tabs, hoping for a cross. Ordered some intentionally crossed seed from Grant but didn't germ. Grow was a tad ambitious this year and need to begin in December in order to stagger seeding, take more time: the ones I seeded more shallowly germed lots better; some didn't care. The Guwahati Bhut looks astounding as well. Can't wait for your taste test on that. I got couple ripe MoA yesterday, true pheno, saved seeds, and just ate, with really ripe tomatillos. Thanks for your review of it: my fav tasting mild chinense pepper, and oh, so good, sweet: "tropical!" Gotta get ready for doc appt. Have a great Monday;)  Thanks, hon!

Yeah, I'm really impressed by the aroma and flavor of the MoAs. The smell of the first one I cut up on Sunday lingered on the cutting board for the whole day. It may be a bit mild for a Habanero-type, but I think it's the tastiest one I've ever tried. Sure, I'll follow through with the Nabasco and Guwahati Bhut... the way things are ripening around here it could be anytime in the next couple of weeks.

Hope things went well at the Docs... is the boot coming off yet?

Take care miz Annie!

Back