• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's "Growed-up" aka Mature Audiences Glog 2016

Hiya y'all. Contrary to rumors not dead. Dealt with illness. Working on pepper crosses, grafting tomatoes and playing music. Missed y'all.

1st full grow since "heath event."

Bhut Orange Copenhagen (BOC):

94947D22-B550-4B6A-B81F-41BD736A4304_zpsrhmbvdbe.jpg

Peach PI 441598 (Jason/GA Growhead)

0059A082-8124-47E7-8B5F-3634BEB7CABF_zpsgwvriuxu.jpg

Borg 9 Bleeding:

FD1FC059-4F13-4039-A644-5299EC0D1DAB_zps0fvcb7vc.jpg

Funky x Well-Hung Reaper (Scott-Devv) F4:

838E6152-134D-4DF9-BF8C-3798B878C9F4_zps2z9neijn.jpg

Choc Brain:

771AE451-F2B0-4A46-921D-5270E6A41AEB_zpsrqj13dx5.jpg

BBM:

9517EC64-2233-4DDC-A65D-AD18CC3CE4A6_zpsrho1y7ca.jpg

BG7 x Tabasco (Annie57) F4:

2850B3D9-CF8A-4A0A-9AD2-3951A6FA991C_zpsrhqezhed.jpg

BG7 x Reaper (Jason-GA Growhead):

B46D83AC-ECD2-4456-A9EB-64142F9F4152_zpsmsg2meid.jpg

Red Moruga x Douglah F4:

C6A0D483-E813-41B9-B938-B21B16089D22_zpsliwy6jjo.jpg

Moruga x Reaper F4:

FB39ADF0-7B9D-43E7-AB83-28149299B3D7_zpso9yg8yjm.jpg

Thanks for looking and if get bump can post more pics! Peace! Annie

stickman said:
Howdy Miz Annie! Glad to see ya back around! Not surprised to see everything looking just stellar. have you finished reclaiming the plot under the former Black Walnut?

Rick! How are you? (And your family?) Great to "see" ya! :party: Wonderful to be. And back around. Whew.

God bless my nephews; they finished taking out all trees. One "kid" wanted Pecan wood for smoking; tree not produced good pecans in forever and another had a gig with Remington (he can sell snow to Alaskans; I didn't ask). Just grateful to see that it was being done from a "healing" distance. One took care of my seeds, crosses, raised plants, sold his extra peppers at Raleigh Farmers Market, so it was all good.

"Playing in dirt" is a serious incentive. Thank you for looking, sweetie! Will post more as more is more. Want to peruse your glog, intently! Peace.

annie57 said:

Am sorry you've had a rough year, Scott. This is my first decent one in 2 years. If not for my nephews continuing crosses and grows for me, I'd have nada.

Somebody needs a "bah-ahx." Have you had a nasty BBM yet? Damn, that thing and a Sepia Serpent just got no redeeming value aside from gawd-awful pain-heat. lol. So, "ya ne-eed a bah-ahx," she said in her best Southern accent.

Seriously. The BOC are extra good this year. Choc Brains too. Choc bhut too--got this thing for earthy tones in pain-heat. Hmm. And it's weird how some days--eating peppers can help save ya life or help put stuff in remission--and noticed that, heck one day I got a JA Red Hab and no Jigsaw could've touched it. Liked to killed me. A Jamaican Red Hab now. smh.

I really would like you to try that BG7 x Tab cross. It's not face melt hot at all but really sweet heat. :party:

Have a good night; will PM you over weekend if you'll be around maybe Sunday? Sweet dreams!
 I'm here ;)  and intend to be in the garden until the heat and humidity gets to me...I hope to do 4 hours of digging hugel beds. I'm back to being able to eat heat again, thanking the Good Lord for that ;)

Send me that PM!

annie57 said:

Rick! How are you? (And your family?) Great to "see" ya! :party: Wonderful to be. And back around. Whew.

God bless my nephews; they finished taking out all trees. One "kid" wanted Pecan wood for smoking; tree not produced good pecans in forever and another had a gig with Remington (he can sell snow to Alaskans; I didn't ask). Just grateful to see that it was being done from a "healing" distance. One took care of my seeds, crosses, raised plants, sold his extra peppers at Raleigh Farmers Market, so it was all good.

"Playing in dirt" is a serious incentive. Thank you for looking, sweetie! Will post more as more is more. Want to peruse your glog, intently! Peace.

We're doing fine Annie. I got a rather sharp lesson this past winter myself but made the necessary lifestyle changes and got back on track. Guess I'm not a kid anymore so I'm lookin' to be an old Coot in the future... ;)

Nice that your family got your back and cleaned out the woodlot. Will you use it as garden space?

Take care of yourself and stay in touch, eh? :)

stickman said:

I got a rather sharp lesson this past winter myself but made the necessary lifestyle changes and got back on track. Guess I'm not a kid anymore so I'm lookin' to be an old Coot in the future... ;)  Man, when universe wants our attention, it don play! Glad you made the changes, Rick! "Ch-Ch-Changes . . ."

Nice that your family got your back and cleaned out the woodlot. Will you use it as garden space? Was great of them. YES, it was! Dynamite on some stumps--they didn't but threatened it--smh. They got to use their uncles' backhoe, scoops, hmm. Boys. :P One's a dentist in GA and other writes s-wear for DOD outta Fayettnam, NC: this was an opportunity to get back to being country boys. Am using it first time this year. :party:

Take care of yourself and stay in touch, eh? :P  You as well, Rick! Slow and steady is not my speed, not many of our speeds; but some say it wins races! :dance:

Devv said:
 I'm here ;)  and intend to be in the garden until the heat and humidity gets to me...I hope to do 4 hours of digging hugel beds. I'm back to being able to eat heat again, thanking the Good Lord for that ;)

Send me that PM!

Love "eat heat" and that PM sent. Can't wait to hear about your experiments burying hugel "bones." I gotta hugel bed. It's called "the wood that was left is covered in green compost stuff-garden stuff and will be ready in 20 years." Peace!

Well, my hugel beds are dug 8-10"s deep, 20" wide, 20"s between rows, and filled level with shredded tree mulch, and the dirt piled back on. Really weird how all the work barely raises the row. Hopefully it does some good. Although it does me good to be out there. The garden is good for my brain, gives me peace, and that's what it's all about ;)  I wish more people understood that, and I'm sure everyone who frequents here knows where I'm coming from.

Yeah, just gotta eat heat, I love it. They killed my mouth last spring with antibiotics, it was on fire for 6-8 months. Probiotics did the trick. Finally back to normal. If I could ever fit that statement...LOL

Devv said:
Well, my hugel beds are dug 8-10"s deep, 20" wide, 20"s between rows, and filled level with shredded tree mulch, and the dirt piled back on. Really weird how all the work barely raises the row. Hopefully it does some good. Although it does me good to be out there. The garden is good for my brain, gives me peace, and that's what it's all about ;)  I wish more people understood that, and I'm sure everyone who frequents here knows where I'm coming from.

Yeah, just gotta eat heat, I love it. They killed my mouth last spring with antibiotics, it was on fire for 6-8 months. Probiotics did the trick. Finally back to normal. If I could ever fit that statement...LOL

God love ya, Scott. Those beds sound like "love." If gardening or "playin in dirt" doesn't give us peace, inner quiet, "inner Bob Marley," lol,  I worry. (I just needed some place nearly out of view for that extra wood that was rotting, or was twig upon twig, unless it was BWalnut, to get "buried" and since, have thrown stuff from garden on it. Huge butternut squash plants coming out of it this spring from last Thanksgiving "sling-ons.") Yours sound "appropriate." :P 20 wide that deep sound mighty fine!

God, yes. Check out "breakfast:"  

A208F912-56C7-48C9-B591-AB14B1924694_zpsbgqr2xdl.jpg

"Eat the heat." :party: "Ornithologists" told me that my taste buds might change. I actually kinda like taste of Douglah now. See: perks! I mean I had some bagel, cream cheese too. Might try Jigsaw again, since obviously buds changed . . . "antibiotics'n friends" burn holes into hell. And no dang doubt: PROBIOTICS are MAGIC! Bio-Kult was first one and man, made me little sick; but so what sick if ultimate healing: ya know, what got to lose? :rofl:  

Gotta tear down some melon patches replete with squash bugs today. Get some kale, collards in ground. BUNCHA mustard where tomatoes will go near year: mustard is a wonderful cover-crop-green-manure, pre-maters. Heirlooms tomatoes did best where had grown mustard greens last fall. Barely till/dig it in, anti negative fungi, anti-nematode etc. Later, sweetie! 

annie57 said:
 Check out "breakfast:"  

A208F912-56C7-48C9-B591-AB14B1924694_zpsbgqr2xdl.jpg

"Eat the heat." :party: "Ornithologists" told me that my taste buds might change. I actually kinda like taste of Douglah now. See: perks! I mean I had some bagel, cream cheese too. Might try Jigsaw again, since obviously buds changed . . . "antibiotics'n friends" burn holes into hell. And no dang doubt: PROBIOTICS are MAGIC! Bio-Kult was first one and man, made me little sick; but so what sick if ultimate healing: ya know, what got to lose? :rofl:  

Gotta tear down some melon patches replete with squash bugs today. Get some kale, collards in ground. BUNCHA mustard where tomatoes will go near year: mustard is a wonderful cover-crop-green-manure, pre-maters. Heirlooms tomatoes did best where had grown mustard greens last fall. Barely till/dig it in, anti negative fungi, anti-nematode etc. Later, sweetie! 

H*** yeah! Dougies taste great if properly prepared... Jamie put me onto smoking them with Cherry wood, and my most popular cooked sauce so far was made with the smoked pods, tomatoes, onions, carrots, blueberries and a touch of maple syrup to iron out the rough spots. It also greatly improves the flavor to smoke the pods before drying and grinding. That reminds me... I've gotta smoke some pods for this year's powder blend. :)

Double H*** yeah on probiotics! I'm a kimchi fiend from way back, and it's one of the ways I self-medicate to get me through those long, dark winters... that and getting outside to catch as much sunlight as possible.

Thanks for the crop-rotation tip with the Mustard Greens planted before Tomatoes. I've heard about planting French Marigolds and plowing them under to fumigate nematodes, but you can eat Mustard Greens, and that's important to small-plot growers.   https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251619817_Using_marigold_Tagetes_spp_as_a_cover_crop_to_protect_crops_from_plant-parasitic_nematodes

Cheers!

OK!

More pepper love going this year than I could ever imagine: :dance:

246.jpg

247.jpg

Most beautiful peppers!

I surely do appreciate the heat :P

Thank you so much!

Devv said:
OK!

More pepper love going this year than I could ever imagine: :dance:

246.jpg

247.jpg

Most beautiful peppers!

I surely do appreciate the heat :P

Thank you so much!

I love ya, Scott! And LB! And rock on ya daughter Jamie! :dance: "Guitar Man." Enjoy the heat! Funky x WH HURT or gave me a tad cap cramps so . . . beware your Reapers! BUT they have great sweet taste, which is what threw me, but my digestive tract is still a bit off. Peace. Annie

stickman said:

H*** yeah! Dougies taste great if properly prepared... Jamie put me onto smoking them with Cherry wood, and my most popular cooked sauce so far was made with the smoked pods, tomatoes, onions, carrots, blueberries and a touch of maple syrup to iron out the rough spots. It also greatly improves the flavor to smoke the pods before drying and grinding. That reminds me... I've gotta smoke some pods for this year's powder blend. :)

Double H*** yeah on probiotics! I'm a kimchi fiend from way back, and it's one of the ways I self-medicate to get me through those long, dark winters... that and getting outside to catch as much sunlight as possible.

Thanks for the crop-rotation tip with the Mustard Greens planted before Tomatoes. I've heard about planting French Marigolds and plowing them under to fumigate nematodes, but you can eat Mustard Greens, and that's important to small-plot growers.   https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251619817_Using_marigold_Tagetes_spp_as_a_cover_crop_to_protect_crops_from_plant-parasitic_nematodes

Cheers!

Rick! Thank you for article on Tagetes--I generally start them as soon as gets warm outside--and I KNOW they help. A lot. Can tell the difference and no, not just placebo effect. 2 to one tom plant. Initially snarked, "Monsanto is at it again" as some "research group," years back, tried to debunk years of gardening experience on benefits vis a vis nematodes planting certain French Marigolds; but my grandmother did it and I never stopped. Turned out, it was a freakin Monsanto-backed research group! Dayum.

On mustards--things ya think of--reading articles on a phone and unable to garden, so when get back to it, go insane--I did a trial plot and only planted ungrafted heirlooms that are especially susceptible to fusarium wilt (for which we have loads of potential), verticillium wilt (for which you guys might have more potential in North), Alternaria-anything, aka basically anything fungal--like Brandywine. Look at Brandywine Sudduth plant in South, ungrafted, or for me, the plants die. Been growing Brandy Boy, a hybrid, which frankly has a good taste but not real thing . . . planted 6 BWS where had grown mustard. I also planted some German Johnson and Cherokee Purple in case BWS croaked but they did better than they'd ever done for me, as did CP and GJ. In fact, gathered a puny BW yesterday: unheard of. It wasn't seed company because used 3 different seed companies. But they didn't compare to grafted! :party:

Got a new obsession. Have a tomato project for ya, Rick! GRAFTING! Again, lying in bed, sick to die for a while, when ya feel good enough to sorta get up for 10 minutes--that's "itching" to do something and PO'ed that in 15 mins have to lie down . . . lol so, studied grafting tomatoes. Read, watched youtubes, talked to guy at local community college greenhouses a lot. I mean, in the South, we have soil fungal issues that decrease production so that a family who plants just enough to eat, not can, not freeze, just for eating, will not get an eating crop of heirloom maters. And grafting is not hard. It requires some patience. If interested, PM me.

But to the much maligned Dougie, what's wrong with people? I love me some Douglah. Jamie, pusherman, sent me my first. "Jamie, my first." ;)

But yeah, great pepper smoked--smoking brings out sweetness, kills off any bitterness, as does letting it ripen off vine a lot. I picked that pepper nearly a week before ate it. I LOVE it smoked! Am not crazy: is an excellent tasting pepper! I use apple wood because that's what I have. Or what my bro has and wants rid of after he shreds enough for several seasons smoking. Works with power-blends as you said or sauces. Douglah makes a respectable sauce, y'all! My best fermented hot steak sauce had a base of Dougie. A t-shirt with "Dougie Love" would surely get some double-takes. :cool:

Your Gochu powder has gone into kimchi since you sent it. Thank you! I grew G this year and already dehydrated and ground every last drop to go in kimchi, Have place in frig reserved for a gallon of it. Problem is Napa is not available "real" except in fall around here and while cheating, make it through winter with grocery-bought. Want a kimchi frig. I mean, pills of pro-bio are, well save my life, but nothing like real stuff! You PMed me a simple and complicated recipe for it ages ago: I use daikon, gochu powder, carrots, green onion, garlic, ginger, napa, salt. Thank you! Keep it simple since make it once or twice month in winter and for me is more medicinal than gastro. If gastro, would complicate and have to make it 4 times a month, lol.

Peace, dear man and do you still live where ya used to?
Annie

annie57 said:

Rick! Thank you for article on Tagetes--I generally start them as soon as gets warm outside--and I KNOW they help. A lot. Can tell the difference and no, not just placebo effect. 2 to one tom plant. Initially snarked, "Monsanto is at it again" as some "research group," years back, tried to debunk years of gardening experience on benefits vis a vis nematodes planting certain French Marigolds; but my grandmother did it and I never stopped. Turned out, it was a freakin Monsanto-backed research group! Dayum.

Monsanto isn't as smart as they think they are... they just have some Judges in their pockets. I mean, really... pollen from a Monsanto Corn variety blowing downwind and fertilizing a neighbor's crop equals theft of patent?! If it was me, I'd task them with environmental cleanup rather than awarding damages.

On mustards--things ya think of--reading articles on a phone and unable to garden, so when get back to it, go insane--I did a trial plot and only planted ungrafted heirlooms that are especially susceptible to fusarium wilt (for which we have loads of potential), verticillium wilt (for which you guys might have more potential in North), Alternaria-anything, aka basically anything fungal--like Brandywine. Look at Brandywine Sudduth plant in South, ungrafted, or for me, the plants die. Been growing Brandy Boy, a hybrid, which frankly has a good taste but not real thing . . . planted 6 BWS where had grown mustard. I also planted some German Johnson and Cherokee Purple in case BWS croaked but they did better than they'd ever done for me, as did CP and GJ. In fact, gathered a puny BW yesterday: unheard of. It wasn't seed company because used 3 different seed companies. But they didn't compare to grafted! :party:

Got a new obsession. Have a tomato project for ya, Rick! GRAFTING! Again, lying in bed, sick to die for a while, when ya feel good enough to sorta get up for 10 minutes--that's "itching" to do something and PO'ed that in 15 mins have to lie down . . . lol so, studied grafting tomatoes. Read, watched youtubes, talked to guy at local community college greenhouses a lot. I mean, in the South, we have soil fungal issues that decrease production so that a family who plants just enough to eat, not can, not freeze, just for eating, will not get an eating crop of heirloom maters. And grafting is not hard. It requires some patience. If interested, PM me.

We're already on it up here Annie... with my sandy soil, fungal issues... aren't. This source has all the necessary seeds/hardware, and they sell grafted plants as well. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/assets/i...ing-vigor-disease-resistance-technique.pdf%C2

But to the much maligned Dougie, what's wrong with people? I love me some Douglah. Jamie, pusherman, sent me my first. "Jamie, my first." ;)

But yeah, great pepper smoked--smoking brings out sweetness, kills off any bitterness, as does letting it ripen off vine a lot. I picked that pepper nearly a week before ate it. I LOVE it smoked! Am not crazy: is an excellent tasting pepper! I use apple wood because that's what I have. Or what my bro has and wants rid of after he shreds enough for several seasons smoking. Works with power-blends as you said or sauces. Douglah makes a respectable sauce, y'all! My best fermented hot steak sauce had a base of Dougie. A t-shirt with "Dougie Love" would surely get some double-takes. :cool:

Y'know... I think that could be arranged... got any good Dougie photos?  :P

Your Gochu powder has gone into kimchi since you sent it. Thank you! I grew G this year and already dehydrated and ground every last drop to go in kimchi, Have place in frig reserved for a gallon of it. Problem is Napa is not available "real" except in fall around here and while cheating, make it through winter with grocery-bought. Want a kimchi frig. I mean, pills of pro-bio are, well save my life, but nothing like real stuff! You PMed me a simple and complicated recipe for it ages ago: I use daikon, gochu powder, carrots, green onion, garlic, ginger, napa, salt. Thank you! Keep it simple since make it once or twice month in winter and for me is more medicinal than gastro. If gastro, would complicate and have to make it 4 times a month, lol.

If they can afford it,  South Korean families actually do have a "Kimchi 'fridge"... makes perfect sense to me! Glad you were able to make use of that gochu powder Ma'am... think you could use some fresh pods to save the seeds from and dry?

Peace, dear man and do you still live where ya used to?
Annie

Yup... still do... we'd be fools to leave the setup we have here... Tightly sealed construction, good insulation, good insolation, high-E glass, passive solar hot water collectors and photovoltaic panels on the roof, and a new mini-split heat pump we installed this spring. The only way we're leaving is feet first...  ;) 

Cheers!

Good that you're there, Rick! Sound nice and snuggled in ;) . Great. Love a box! :party: Good that you want a box. :dance: I know that you didn't say that but am selling SFRBs in Forum (as in 30 pair of gladiators? lol); am trying a theme: every pod I have for sale, other than that nasty and terribly painful BBM, came from an ole timer member here. Sort of an ancestral seed bank thing. Now, those who been here a while, get free boxes. Otherwise, I got medical bills (from Hades) and don't want to do the "ruptsy" thing. Thus, selling some boxes which is fair enough, I think. I wanted Scotty to choose what he did and didn't want; will post some pics tonight and have more of it all. I know that Jamie and his wife like the giant Orange Thais so if you could lemme know about anything special from what you've seen? PM me? Time to get something to eat!! Will post that mess later tonight. Peace and thank you!

P.S.
Y'know... I think that could be arranged... got any good Dougie photos?  :P
Rick, Rick, Rick: "Dougie Style"

DB589A65-52DE-4851-AF7A-8361C2F72649_zpsumrvdxaa.jpg

Hi Annie,

I wondered where you disappeared to.  Same could be asked of me. Haven't been on here much.  Just saw you online and thought I'd say hi.  Your 5 gallon bucket of peppers look awesome...wish I was in a position to help you out but.... Keep well and kick butt !!!

Barley-pop57 said:
Hi Annie,

I wondered where you disappeared to.  Same could be asked of me. Haven't been on here much.  Just saw you online and thought I'd say hi.  Your 5 gallon bucket of peppers look awesome...wish I was in a position to help you out but.... Keep well and kick butt !!!

Mikey!! Man, somebody was talking about jerky the other day and I cut loose on how good yours is!! You need any uh, powders? Still making jerky?

Regardless, be well and happy, my friend!! PM me if you'd like!

Peace; love ya, fella,
Annie

Back