• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Annums Too Big

I got really excited about all the new varieties I'll be trying this year so I planted my chinense around mid-January. Then about the the first week of February I planted my annums. The chinense seem to be on track for outside transplant in late May but my annums have exploded in growth. I have some jalapeno and cayennes that are already 12 inches tall and there's still 9 weeks of indoor growing. They are currently in 4 inch pots under 6500 K floro tubes.

What should I expect for the next few weeks? Will I need to transplant to bigger pots? How about buds? Will I be pinching until plantout? Will these monsters produce earlier fruit?

have you thought about pinching them ? this should slow them down for some time till they develop the new two stalks and give you some time.

I just finally finished germinating my last annuums. They usually grow very fast compared to chinenses and I like to pinch off all flowers until the end of June when I plant out.

I'm in either 4b or 5, not quite sure, but being in a forested valley my garden soil takes until late june to really warm up. May 24 weekend is when everybody around here wants to plant their gardens, and almost every year there is a frost or very cold weather and everyone complains about having to buy more plants:) Most of my peppers stay in containers so plant out is more of an issue for tomatos and other veggies.

Back