• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Another Fertilizer Question

I've been using Alaska 5-1-1 fish fertilizer on my plants since they been babies and now they are about 5'in. tall and are in 5 1/2' inch pots. They look great and since the weather has warmed up and has become more stable I want to move them into five gallon pots (they are not coming back in unless some type of crisis). I was going to start using fox farm tiger bloom 2-8-4. Should I use both and continue with Alaska and tiger bloom or will the tiger bloom be enough?

I've been using Alaska 5-1-1 fish fertilizer on my plants since they been babies and now they are about 5'in. tall and are in 5 1/2' inch pots. They look great and since the weather has warmed up and has become more stable I want to move them into five gallon pots (they are not coming back in unless some type of crisis). I was going to start using fox farm tiger bloom 2-8-4. Should I use both and continue with Alaska and tiger bloom or will the tiger bloom be enough?

The Tiger Bloom will be enough. You can use a little of the Fish Fert if it looks like your plants could use a little boost of N

I bought some Alaska fish food, too, and I'm not sure what I think of it. I know al lot of my friends that like to grow vegetables use triple 13. I usually use the Miracle Grow tomato plant food, which is 18-18-21. The 5-1-1 of the fish fert kinda seems inconsequential at that point. I'm not sure it's worth stinking up my courtyard with.

It works really well when they are young. When the plants are not that big a don't need that much ferts. I know that unbalanced N to P ratio make for strange plant behavoir. What you are using is pretty much a 1-1-1 ratio, just in a dense quanity.

Fox Farm products are great. I would use Fox Farm Grow Big 1st, then transition to either FF Big Bloom or Tiger Bloom as the plants get closer to flower development. Cal/mag maybe too. You can cut the cost of FF by doing more foliar applications.

Back