• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another first time grower

First time grower here with a "Bhut Jolokia" that is about 7 months old.
Thing is, the peppers I have are really skinny.
You can see this in the picture below.
I have used miracle grow potting soil, and mostly kept it right by the window sill. I now have it under a grow light.
Is this a Bhut Jolokia? Or something else? I got the seed from amazon, http://www.amazon.co...ds=bhut jolokia
I have it in a terra cotta pot, and there is some white powder (lol) that is left behind when water evaporates from the pot surface.
All the Jolokia peppers I have seen are fat little things, not like mine.
POXD7.jpg

Hi Meatsauce... unfortunately, it looks like you ddn't get a Bhut. It looks like some kind of upward-pointing Annuum. The folks here should be able to point you to reputable dealers or supply you with seed if they're so inclined. I mostly grow Korean and Mexican chiles of the C. Annuum type, with a few Habaneros thrown in for the times when you want to kick it up a notch. Anyway... welcome to the circus...

:welcome: to THP and Greetings from the Metrolina - North Carolina !
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] “The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite……[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]" [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :flamethrower:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]My Red Bhut grown from AjiJoe seeds[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]
7593114618_c39664a842_z.jpg
[/background]

Hi Meatsauce... unfortunately, it looks like you ddn't get a Bhut. It looks like some kind of upward-pointing Annuum. The folks here should be able to point you to reputable dealers or supply you with seed if they're so inclined. I mostly grow Korean and Mexican chiles of the C. Annuum type, with a few Habaneros thrown in for the times when you want to kick it up a notch. Anyway... welcome to the circus...

Yeah, been looking at images of Annuum on google mage search, seems right.
Does anyone have a good link for a reputable dealer of seeds? Or where i can get some ghost chilies at a market in North Carolina?

EDIT: Funny, the ad at the bottom of the page takes me to the same looking can that I got my current peppers from.

obj6W.jpg
Looks exactly like what I got at my local flea market labeled ghost pepper. I've tried a red one off this plant. No heat. At least the choc. hab's were true.

to me it looks like my sabah white chilies to me.. c annumm......see my grow log.......(have not been updating that much)

You know, that looks just like a Thai Dragon Pepper! Sorry not a Bhut, but if it is a Thai they are very good eating.

This was mine last year, kinda similar.
DSC04453.jpg

Looks exactly like what I got at my local flea market labeled ghost pepper. I've tried a red one off this plant. No heat. At least the choc. hab's were true.

Tried 2 of mine, first one I had to have ice cream after, very hot.
Second one, just ate it at work, nothing on hand but frozen yogurt. Helped a bit, but only while I was actually eating it.
To my nub senses, I figure it was around the capsicum chinese, can't find any figures for the scoville rating of the annuum.
Around 30k - 50k on scoville for the chinese.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73034/ suggests 5k to 30k.

Hey meat...that's an annuum in your picture..

There are not very many chinense that rate that low on the scoville that I am aware of...

Back