• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

another growing season shot

after last seasons flop of not a single pepper not even a single flower till about a week before the first frost. i decided this year to do a better job. started all the plants the day after christmas gave them all kinds of love and was picking pods before they even went outside. i thought i had broken the curse well i was wrong. we were forced to move out of our place in the middle of july so i asked someone to watch over my plants. this person is an avid gardener so i thought all would be ok. would you belive months of very hard work 86 plants just about dead. none of there potted plants are dead. my plants were so under watered that the pods dehidrated right on the plants i am not sure that i can bring them back(the plants) but i am gonna try last night i picked almost 70 rotted pods of my plants :lol: and now to make matters worse i cant have a single plant here. our new place has some very strict rules and our only windows face east so i cant get enough sun for the plants. i think next year i am gonna rent a space in the community garden it has been about 3 years scine i have had a good crop and its not from a lack of trying oh well. just needed to vent my wife does not do peppers so she is not as broken harted as i am. needed to vent with people you love there peppers as much as there own kids.
nick

Ah, that is so frustrating! You have my complete and utter sympathy. Vent away!

I think the community plot sounds like a good idea. How much space do they give you? Maybe you could even put a small hoop house on the plot to get an earlier start.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck for growing chiles. its one thing to have 1 bad season but then you had a 2nd bad season & now you cant grow chiles where you live now :(:( man thats gotta be harsh.
I dont know where you're moving into but how can they say NO PLANTS whats so ever ? not even just a couple potted ones on the deck or by the front door ? that just seems to odd or crossing the fine line of illegal IMO, if they'll allow house plants then why not garden type plants outside ? or maybe start growing indoors ?

Awww man, your story is very sad and I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had and are facing. I know the love of growing ones own peppers and the fustrations and pain when problems arise. I wish you the best of luck with the community plot and don't stop trying! One question though, is there any chance of a rooftop grow area?

VtPepper said:
...our new place has some very strict rules and our only windows face east so i cant get enough sun for the plants...

Hydroponics - adding a new hobby to your growing hobby.

it was not as bad as i thought i went throught all the plants one by one and this is what i was able to get out of them
piw9njeuUkY9nfHpKlRPSk5l7AB+Hkg10300.jpg
but as to growing here there is no roof top peeked roof. and we are on the second floor so cant put things outside. but i think the comunity garden will be my answer. my wife cant stand the lightsd so i can't grow inside. all will work out in the end. cant wait to make sauce next week and see how well they taste they have been smoked in apple wood for about 5 hours.
nick

Not a total loss! But if it were me, I would have to move. Sorry! That may not be an option. If the community garden is close, then it won't be too bad. Good luck.

congrats, & that looks like a great harvest, even though I would of waited for some of'em to ripen before picking them. you made it sound like you'd never get any pods from your plants, its cool that it turned out alright for you & have some pods to eat.

LUCKYDOG said:
Time to covert a closet into your new Bio-Dome.....
That's what I'm going to do now that I live in an apartment. I also have a window with no direct sunlight. It's a balcony in an apartment and it faces the north. There's also a GIANT pine tree there. There's no way those plants will get enough sun. I wish we had a community garden. Then again my apartment complex doesn't have the best track record on honest non-stealing people. I could actually see peppers disapearing. If I grew jolokias most would probably learn there lesson though:shocked::):)

I'm loving reading the title of this thread, then opening it up and seeing all your beautiful peppers.

Blundaar said:
mini-PDR_0040.JPG

Amateurs! LOL!
Hey, guitar god! How did you Jalokias do this year?
My advice to you is get out of L.A.

Oh! Oh! Are we going to have a Bhut-size war? I'd flash mine atcha, but I was just getting Bubba calmed down.

An Aside: My speelchucker keeps trying to change "Bubba" to "hubba"

Hubba Bubba!

i know thispost is misleading but i was sure it was over i have never had plants that looked so dead actually make peppers. i was blown away with what i picked the first time. then when i went back yesterday they were still there althought they had no more leaves and many of the peppers were all soft and wrinkled i grabbed all that were still ok thats why i have so many green ones. my plant sitter did not like wattering the plants. hence why they are dead. i guess thought now i know how determened the plants were to live. i have never had plants that looked so bad actually make so many peppers. and what a welcome suprise after dropping a whole flat of seeds this year and not getting a single pepper last year. oh well time to go make sauce .
nick

Peppers grow better wild than with what some growers do to them. Overfertilization and overwatering probably do more damage than mother nature ever would.

it blows me away that i got so much out of them the plants were so dead the branches were just falling off when i touched them. it makes me think that some of my other failers with previus crops were from interfering to much. i guess sometimes less is more. although i might have given them a little more water then they were given because i might have gotten more peppers out of them.

Back