• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another "Help with ID" please...

Hey folks, I picked this up, tagged only as "Cranberry Red" pepper.. No idea what it is. Blossoms have bright orange centers. Leaves somewhat long and narrow, with serrated edges. It's about 14" tall in this picture. Any ideas..?

Thanks, Duane

unknown_pepper.jpg

yah, that's the problem, orange inside, lots of green, yellow, mixed green & yellow flowers but nothing i have come across suggest orange.

yah, that's the problem, orange inside, lots of green, yellow, mixed green & yellow flowers but nothing i have come across suggest orange.
Next time one opens where I can get the camera in for a picture with the macro lens, I'll post one up. Thanks, folks. :)

I believe you duane, just i can't find anything that mentions orange, i think it would be great to see a pic. there are yellow flowers that sound really cool but nothing about orange. can't wait to see pics, so we can get this clear up.

duane, those are some pretty big stamens. this is going to take some research. which i am glad to look into. usually stamens are small and very individual but those are some pretty big stamen lips.

i'll start with pbase as they post a lot of pictures.

normally we get members posting pictures of flowers with various colours; like this morning, i woke up to purple on my superchili's, never seen that before, usually they are just white. but with the cold we have, plants that take on a purple/blue coloration in their leaves tend to be a reaction to cold, as the day wore on, the purple disappeared and the flower returned to white. but in your case, we are not talking about the flower but the stamen. that excites me.... bed time now, but i will do some research tomorrow. good show!

looked at scores of pepper flower pictures and the closest i could find was an african piquin, the stamen wasn't brilliant in colour like yours but more of a white/creamy.

there was another pi####### type but again off-white.

keep us updated, i would be interested in the end result.

Latest pic:

DSC_6285.jpg

The peppers are looking like "marbles", but the leaves look narrower to me than the "marbles" plants have.
I'll post another pic when the pods ripen, and describe how they taste... Hopefull it's more than ornimental. :)

now those look like nice pods, still didn't help in the search to determin just what we are working with. but i like the whole concept of your plant.

Here's a blossom picture:

cran1.jpg

There are two flower buds in the above photo that are not attached to the stem of the plant by their own pedicel. The flowers themselves do not look like any Capsicum that exhibits this trait that I can recall.

Searching these forums for Solan* brought up threads asking about similar plants.

Latest pic:

The peppers are looking like "marbles", but the leaves look narrower to me than the "marbles" plants have.
I'll post another pic when the pods ripen, and describe how they taste... Hopefull it's more than ornimental. :)
[/quote]

I would be wary of eating those pods given the resemblance of the flower to that of a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_pseudocapsicum]Solanum pseudocapsicum[/url].

There are two flower buds in the above photo that are not attached to the stem of the plant by their own pedicel. The flowers themselves do not look like any Capsicum that exhibits this trait that I can recall.

Good call, I didn't even notice that. Strange...

Hey - Thanks for that..! It does look very much like "Solanum Psuedocapiscum". I'll wait and see what the pods ripen like, and maybe even taste one.. If it's nasty and bitter, out it goes, and something useful gets put there. I've got a bunch of Aji Amarillo seedlings that need a spot... :) Thanks, guys!

You don't want to taste them if they're solanum psuedocapsicum, aka Jerusalem Cherry, since they're poisonous. I agree with Harry, I wouldn't try it. I don't think it's a pepper at all. Here is a picture of a solanum psuedocapsicum flower...

220px-Solanum_pseudocapsicum3.jpg

From wiki "The Jerusalem Cherry's poison is primarily solanocapsine, which is similar to other alkaloids found in their genus, such as solanine and atropine. Although the toxin is poisonous, it is generally not life-threatening. It may cause gastric problems, including vomiting and gastroenteritis"

Doesn't sound like a good time to me.

Where did you get the plant?

...Although the toxin is poisonous, it is generally not life-threatening. It may cause gastric problems, including vomiting and gastroenteritis"

Doesn't sound like a good time to me.

Where did you get the plant?
I picked up this one at a local nursery...Mixed in with all of the edible peppers! They didn't know anything about it. I should probably be a good guy, and go back & mention to 'em what sort of "pepper" it appears to be. ;)

Back