• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another LED thread.

Now, I don't want this to turn into a flame war, nor do I want a bunch of "X bulb is better than led" responses. I'm looking for people who have grown peppers, full cycle, using an led system.

I am interested in purchasing one for my indoor grow this winter and would like some testimonials. Which one did you buy? How many plants under it? How well it worked, etc. I would like to hear some real opinions before making a decision. My grow space is about 6 square feet.

Following.

charles-barkley-photo.jpg

I bought an elcheapo panel . it worked nice when the plant was smaller but as it got bigger , the light didnt penetrate enough.
now i bought a high lumen spotlight and just tried it for the hell of it .. it worked pretty well. I have seen a video on youtube of a lady that was doing a aompair of led and hid on lettuce . she had some wicked led that did pretty well but they are pretty pricy she used lights from liltomatoconcepts .com

motocross308 said:
... wicked led that did pretty well but they are pretty pricy she used lights from liltomatoconcepts .com

Ouch! That's way too much $$ for me.
I've noticed that most of the better rated LED systems are several times more expensive than conventional grow light systems.
That said, the lower environmental temperature of the LED bars make them quite attractive to me.

mlh5953 said:

Ouch! That's way too much $$ for me.
I've noticed that most of the better rated LED systems are several times more expensive than conventional grow light systems.
That said, the lower environmental temperature of the LED bars make them quite attractive to me.
yeah i love the low temp. im just gonna stick to my hid till the cost drops ... alot

I am only using LEDs at the beginning.
A friend is using them for the full cycle and is having real good sucsess with LED floodlights with 4000K ( Natural White). 
He uses around 2* 20 W on around 8 sqare feet

Greetings

Alexander

I have 4 solar flares from California light works and as they work well for starting plants out or ones that grow to medium size. Once the plants get really large they don't seem to penetrate as well as I would like, I don't think that's an issue with LED's in general, i think its specific to this light. This light does not use any lenses on its LEDs. They are full 120 degree angled LED's. You need something like the Lumigrow that has 90degree lenses on the LEDs to focus the light more. Then you will get better penetration and should be able to grow full cycle on large plants no problem.

I have done 2 grow cycles with these.

Work fine, veg growth is absolutely bonkers, there's a buttload of flowers but the plants seem to drop a little more flowers than the plants I have out by a south window. The LED plants are MUCH bigger tho. I need to trim them every week.

http://hrafnkell.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/diy-3w-led-grow-light-finishing-touches/

There's plenty more info on my blog, but I haven't updated much on the grow for a while.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, Kev!

After reading some forum posts and watching some videos I decided to purchase a Pro Grow 260x LED. It is currently in transit!

I will be doing an LED glog here, hopefully with some nice results!

Back