• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

another stupid question from the new guy?

what about surrounding my small grow room (apt closet) in mirrors would that be as good as mylar?? always looking for the cheap way out :) since i already have enough mirrors ps. almost all my 1st time growing anything seedlings are up :)

First off there are no stupid question at THP. Mirrors are not recommended, mylar is far superior. I think mirrors are worse than no reflective material. Flat white paint is a cheap alternative that some say works almost as well as mylar. Good question.

Im sure it would work, but mylar isnt that expensive. I bought mine on a 50 foot roll for 25 dollars. Not to shabby

hello all
new here, but old time indoor/outdoor gardener
I have 2 growrooms and use HID lights
I use mylar on the walls and paint the floors flat white.
mylar reflects 95% heat and light evenly, next best thing you can use is a white flat latex paint.
the beef I have with mylar is that it is hard to work with and tears real easy...if I could afford it I would use foylon 99% light reflected thicker material , easy to clean and reusable for years!
some will say use aluminum foil...the problem with foil is that heat spots are created and it does not reflects the light evenly...
just my 2 cents

Dan

I used the survival blankets that you can find a Walmart in the camping section. I don't remember how much but I think they were under $2.00 a piece and good size.

Paul

I gave up on mylar a few years ago in favor of white/black plastic. Its much easier to work with and to clean and can be used for multiple purposes. Mylar is more reflective but can lose efficiency quickly when it gets dusty/dirty.

Back