• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Another Tasty Sauce Made This Morning - Updated with recipe

I made another hot sauce this morning.

Here's the ingredients of the hot sauce (it was meant to be somewhat of a clone of LDHS's "Unlucky Squirrel" prototype)

Edit: Figured I'd go ahead and post the actual amounts for each ingredient

18 7 Pot Jonahs (mine)
7 Red 7 Pot Brainstrains (from cappy)
5 Jalapenos (from kroger)
1 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 C Lime Juice
4 cloves Garlic (sauteed)
1 medium Onion (sauteed)
2 large Carrots
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Cayenne Flakes
1/4 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Water

Now this wasn't as good as the Unlucky Squirrel (it's tough to beat that flavor). Some ingredients were different, but I think the main reason it wasn't as good is I didn't prep the ingredients like LDHS did. He fire roasted his peppers and roasted his garlic. So I'm pretty sure those imparted a whole different flavor. At any rate, I still think this sauce tastes delicious, just not on the level of the Unlucky Squirrel. LDHS if you are reading this, DO NOT change up the flavor profile when you bring your superhot sauce into production (pretty please!).

P1100580.JPG

Edit: LOL, I just realized that said I made it last night in the title, but I said I made it this morning in the content. The correct answer is I made it this morning...

Where can I find this Unlucky Squirrel recipe? You've got my attention:)

Well it's not a recipe really. Lucky Dog Hot Sauce, made a "hobby" batch of sauce as a prototype for an upcoming superhot sauce he plans to release. He gave some bottles away here on THP so people could taste it and give critiques on it. I received one of those bottles which lists the ingredients on it. I enjoyed that sauce so much that I attempted to do a clone (of sorts since the ingredients aren't exactly the same, nor was the prep) for my personal enjoyment. Here's the ingredients he has listed on the side of the bottle:

Apple Cider Vinegar
fire-roasted 7 Pot Jonahs
fire-roasted Jalapeno peppers
roasted garlic
dried Cayenne peppers
sea salt
cane sugar
carrots
onions
lime juice

Do you carmalize with oil? From what I heard, it can make the sauce go bad fairly quickly. How do you avoid that?

I used 0 oil in it this time. The other sauce I VERY LIGHTLY sprayed the skillet with cooking spray. I've had a bottle open for a week now and it's been fine (in the refrigerator). But like I said, I used no oil at all this time. I just made sure from the start to stir the onions and garlic frequently so they don't stick and burn.

One thing you could try is dry roasting the garlic and onions. I did this for some Hummus I made and they came out really nice and sweet. I think it was at 300 degrees F and until they were both soft and I could press in on the sides. Also i left the skins on but cut the tops off.

I used 0 oil in it this time. The other sauce I VERY LIGHTLY sprayed the skillet with cooking spray. I've had a bottle open for a week now and it's been fine (in the refrigerator). But like I said, I used no oil at all this time. I just made sure from the start to stir the onions and garlic frequently so they don't stick and burn.
Haven't had a problem yet I use a TBS of Olive Oil, maybe its cause the hot sauce never lasts more than a month, ever see margarin go bad?

I think that oil in hot sauce will not go rancid very quickly because it absorbs a lot of oil soluble antioxidants from the peppers. Carotenoids, tocopherol and stuff. Especially when the sauce is kept refrigerated.

I have this small plastic tub filled with peppers and oil. It's been sitting in my fridge a couple of months. The oil is all orange-colored and it does not taste rancid at all.

If I remember right, the risk with oil is Botulism toxin, if the PH is right though, I don't think that is an issue any more.

Not sure.

But an open container of oil/peppers is asking for b-tox

Oil and Botulism.
Botulism will be problematic if we preserve non-acidified foods in oil. Let's say fresh garlic cloves in oil. The oil would hermatically seal off the garlic cloves from air, thereby creating an oxygen-free environment, a so called anaerobic environment. The spores of Clostridium Botulinum only grow in anaerobic environment. If we would have blanched the garlic cloves in vinegar, thereby lowering their pH, we would not have a problem. While the environment in the garlic cloves would still be anaerobic, the low pH would inhibit the growth of Clostridium Botulinum spores. There are more ways of preventing botulism, please google.

Now, in the case of this hot sauce made with some oil, it would be a totally different situation. This hot sauce made with caramelised onions with some oil would be a so called oil-in-water emulsion. Here the oil droplets are inside the water environment. And the water environment is in this case acidified. The vinegar and lime juice lowered the pH thereby eliminating bacterial growth, including that of Clostridium Botulinum.

Back