• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another Yellow Leaf Thread

New leaves growing from the top of my home-improvement store hab are a pale yellow, some of them to the point of being nearly white.

I potted it up in new MiracleGro Organic potting mix a month ago, and it has gotten some Grow Big a few times since, mostly less than the manufacturer's recommendation given that the potting mix is supposed to have some nutes to start with.

I've got a tomato plant and some basil that are showing some similar signs, though not nearly to the extent of the hab..They were potted in MG organic the same day as the hab. Another tomato plant treated the same is doing fine.

I know that MG organic is not Fox Farms Ocean Forest, but I wouldn't expect it to to be so out of whack as to cause something like this.

Anybody got a good idea of what might be going on here?

pale%20yellow%20leaves.jpg

yl2.jpg

3AjAFUG.jpg

This says iron. But.....I'm am not an authority. To me your leaves look almost overferted.

Let's wait until someone with some real experience comes along.

Good luck!!!

sirex said:
This says iron. But.....I'm am not an authority. To me your leaves look almost overferted.

Good luck!!!

Thanks. I had seen that picture and thought iron too. But with new potting mix, I wouldn't think that would be it.

Over-fertilizing sounds more likely. While I've been diluting more than Fox Farms calls for, it may not have been enough to account for what nutes came in the potting mix. To my knowledge, I've never over-fertilized before, so I have no idea what the leaves would look like if they were.

sirex said:
3AjAFUG.jpg

Good luck!!!

Nice! a nutrient chart that doesn't have canna leaves. 

Mulcahey said:

Thanks. I had seen that picture and thought iron too. But with new potting mix, I wouldn't think that would be it.

Over-fertilizing sounds more likely. While I've been diluting more than Fox Farms calls for, it may not have been enough to account for what nutes came in the potting mix. To my knowledge, I've never over-fertilized before, so I have no idea what the leaves would look like if they were.
Just because you have new potting mix don't assume there is a sufficient t supply of iron. I just looked at my big ol bag if miracle grow and it says nothing about iron.

When I googled it, it showed trace amounts of iron ( it said iron rich but my bag didn't say it so...) In the fertilizer. So I assume that's in the actual amendment ferts not the soil.

I got a big ole jug of iron at Lowes for like six bucks.

If it were me, I would skip the Grow Big which you said it got a couple of times this month and just go with a little hit of iron mixed in the next watering and see what happens.

I havent been adding any extra ferts lately since I use miracle grow and had been seeing a salt accumulation on the leaves. As well as I found the bugs like my plants when they are really juiced up with ferts.

Good luck!!

sirex said:
Just because you have new potting mix don't assume there is a sufficient t supply of iron. I just looked at my big ol bag if miracle grow and it says nothing about iron.

When I googled it, it showed trace amounts of iron ( it said iron rich but my bag didn't say it so...) In the fertilizer. So I assume that's in the actual amendment ferts not the soil.

I got a big ole jug of iron at Lowes for like six bucks.

If it were me, I would skip the Grow Big which you said it got a couple of times this month and just go with a little hit of iron mixed in the next watering and see what happens.

I havent been adding any extra ferts lately since I use miracle grow and had been seeing a salt accumulation on the leaves. As well as I found the bugs like my plants when they are really juiced up with ferts.

Good luck!!

Yeah, I was thinking I'd lay off the Grow Big for awhile. Now I reckon I'll add some iron too. Thanks.

Foliar fed some iron sulphate on Saturday.

The basil and tomato look great now. The hab is showing improvement.

I'm thinking my next step will be to check pH. I'm still a little shocked (though I probably shouldn't be) that MG's potting mix would be that light in iron. Live and learn, I guess.

+1
Iron and/or sulphur.
your ph is probably too high which will probably be locking out the iron. Applying sulphur is usually the correct way to fix it, which will lower the PH and make the iron available. 

You can add sulphate of iron, which will also lower the PH and add iron, but then you may have too much iron if its a case of PH lockout and not just a lack of iron

Back