• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anti fungal prophylactic ?

Have been all organic for much time.  But considering using an anti fungal on plants grown for sale this year.  No clue what is best or if an organic alternative exists.  From what I understand, when folk sell plugs or even rooted plants they treat the roots with an anti fungal.

Previously, selling plants off farm and at farmers market have been 100% organic.  If I get a problem, I get rid of the plant.  Seems that if you want to be commercial, maybe sell to other dealers or across state lines, you gotta dose your plants.

Question is: With what?

SM-90?? Not sure what the commercial norm is, prolly something much cheaper. It's worked well for me in the past though.

Thiram is probably the most commonly used for use in seed treatments, but  there are formulations for soil treatments, dusting, dissolvables for spray treatments for junk like mildew.

ive thought of buying some to mess around with combating rot in various plants but never got around.

you also have the mercaptans... they are used,or at lease used to be quite extensivly

mercaptans from what i recall are less than super safe.

thiram is a thiol.... or double thiol(sulfide) from what i remember? not 100%. 

mercaptans are similarly a sulfur based functional group. 

mercaptans are last gen i believe, meaning they are not super safe, but not terribly unsafe.

there is that shit ortho sells too... compounded with imidicloprid. Triticonazole

yea, never seen a fungal prophylactic.  Ribbed for her pleasure, ribbed for HIS pleasure, small(these are the ones I personally see the most of!), medium, large, magnum, colored, flavored, treated with "other" stuff, but nope, never seen an anti fungal.  I dont think I would want to go "exploring" anywhere that that was required.

SM90 is good stuff (soil drench, not expensive foliar).

Trichoderma inocculant? re:mycoparasite. It would even work as a selling point.

On copper, I think there is a huge difference between organic and natural.  Almost all life on earth is carbon based.  I think organic references life.  Not sure, but I do think there are non carbon based life forms in labs somewhere.  Maybe ammonia based, but maybe I am thinking of something speculative.  Not sure.

ajdrew said:
On copper, I think there is a huge difference between organic and natural.  Almost all life on earth is carbon based.  I think organic references life.  Not sure, but I do think there are non carbon based life forms in labs somewhere.  Maybe ammonia based, but maybe I am thinking of something speculative.  Not sure.

too much star trek yo.

carbon supports life because of its spectacular valence.

can bond to 4 other carbon atoms, or 2, or 3, or by itself.  organic molecules like protienes are like these huge shitty origami paper wads of carbon atoms all smashed together in these elaborate shapes.

you cant get life with out that abundance of bonding and reactivity.
o h yea and dont try to shit all over my chest about hex valent ligands this and that. fuck off those are not atoms.

you can get pentavalent carbon sites in these big stupid molecules with huge displaced dipoles n junk, but they are so reactive...

Redeemer said:
Thanks! I will remember that!

i was making a joke yo.

my above statement applies to organic chemistry.    

'organic food' is a corruption of the origional meaning of organic. of corse elemental copper is USDA organic. so is many other 'natural' forms of copper such as copper sulfate, copper nitrate, copper phosphate etc.

copper is NOT HARMLESS.

copper is hugely toxic to fish and bacteria. there is a huge problem with 'organic' wine makers spraying truckloads of the shit to stem mildew issues, and the runoff ending up in some watershed killing fish and frogs etc.

thiram is much safer for the environment than spraying copper sulfate over and over and over and over and over and over.  

depends on soil conditions though... soil rich in clays and organic material will leach copper much much slower than a soil thats mostly sandy, or sandy loam. 

everything is complicated all the time.

motherearthnews.com is an oversimplifying prostitute.

sulfur is not harmless either. though much more so than copper. elemental copper and sulfur at least.

sulfur tends to acidify soils, especially soils with little aluminum. aluminum is usually abundant in clay rich soils. 

rergardless, idk how much sulfur one typically uses to go after mildew etc, but i have a hard time imagining they use enough to seriously effect soil ph.

unlike copper, i think fish and other aquatics tolerate sulfur reasonably well so its probably a better bet if you are working around bodies of water or what ever.

this is probably why most of the fungicides are sulfur based these days. they used to actually spray ethyl mercury compounds on plants btw. can you imagine spraying that shit for years? i dont care what sort of space suit you are wearing... that cant be good for you.

thiram is a disulfide. its safe enough. its what i would use if i ever had a serious issue with root rot or mildew on foliage etc. i think they used to use it for head lice or for ticks or something. maby in cattle or pets idk.

read up though and dont take my word for it. 

I'm really happy with the direction this thread is going. Good discussion. And thanks for reminding me (because I knew this but forgot) of the difference between organic chemistry, and organic labeling / produce etc.

Back