• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ants in my compost

Since we have been getting so much rain... The ants have sought higher ground in my outdoor compost bin. The only thing is the bin has become infested and i mean tons of them. How can i eradicate these things?

Here's a list of naturals ingredients you could use. As far as putting this in your compost??? Man you got me but at least it will give you an idea.

• Powdered charcoal
  • Turmeric
  • Cinnamon
  • Citrus oil
  • Black or cayenne pepper (hotter is best); or try red chili pepper
  • Vaseline (great for doors and windows)
  • Baby powder
  • White Vinegar and Water

If citrus oil works, shouldn't citrus peels work as well? I had temporary mixed results with a mixture of cinnamon and culinary lavender when I had ants and fungus gnats in my pots last year....
I'm willing to give the citrus peels a try, they're nesting in the root balls of the dying plants in mine....

They might not appreciate boiling water poured onto their home, but I'm not sure how that affects the compost process? Or the opposite, throw some ice on the top, see if they move on out....Just crazy ideas of mine, nothing tried or tested.

Food-grade diatomaceous earth works when you get it directly on ants and it must be dry. Can you get the compost pile really dry? It might be something to try several applications of. Not sure if it would work if you mix it in or not.... but it's not expensive so worth a try if you don't find anything else acceptable. 

geeme said:
Food-grade diatomaceous earth works when you get it directly on ants and it must be dry. Can you get the compost pile really dry? It might be something to try several applications of. Not sure if it would work if you mix it in or not.... but it's not expensive so worth a try if you don't find anything else acceptable. 
I actually did put some food grade DE on em but they are so bad, and all in the pile. I also did not want to kill all th earth worns i have in there. Weather permitting I am in hopes of drying it out some.

Pepper-Guru said:
if they are in the compost bin, leave them...they won't stay long. giving a pesticide to a compost bin is ridiculously counter productive. the point is the soil life.  Life good, death bad. 
This. Why even compost if you are going to nuke it with pesticide?

Back