• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ants in my pants!

I mean my plants...

I was noticing a few ants in my pots and was wondering if it was a cause for concern or if I should just let them play in the soil. Should I exterminate or are they harmless? My chili plants have about 3 sets of leaves on them and are about 4 inches tall.

Thanks for the help in advance!

where there are ants, you soon will find aphids...I would treat for ants to keep them from moving aphids to your young plants...in a hurry

Yep, kill those ants, they're up to no good.

I had the same problem with a few pots and cured it by drenching them with a Spinosad solution.

oh noes! Thanks for the heads up guys. I shall maliciously and indiscriminately destroy the suckers. I assume they would bring eggs around and wait for them to hatch so they could eat them? I've seen some nasty pics here of people with aphid problems. I definitely don't want that! Much appreciated!

I've seen a few , very few little , for lack of a better name ..... piss ants. These are brown and not the black ones. So do ALL ants use aphids to give you the milk cow blues ?

Peace,
p. Dreadie

If there are ant here and there, don't worry but if they are constantly around then you know they're probably ranching aphids:(

I have eight thai and jalapeno in the ground where there are several colonies of the little brown ants. Whenever I water they freak and pour out of the ground with their eggs and climb the plants for safety.

But I have never seen aphids on these plants.

I have noticed that plants that spend a lot/most time in direct sun (at least during hot weather) don't really have aphid problems. I make sure I water at ground level tho, and try not to get the leaves wet. Aphids seems attracted to wet leaves or plants that mostly live in shade.

At least that's been my observation in the destert climate of s. calif.

SanSoo said:
I have eight thai and jalapeno in the ground where there are several colonies of the little brown ants. Whenever I water they freak and pour out of the ground with their eggs and climb the plants for safety.

But I have never seen aphids on these plants.

I have noticed that plants that spend a lot/most time in direct sun (at least during hot weather) don't really have aphid problems. I make sure I water at ground level tho, and try not to get the leaves wet. Aphids seems attracted to wet leaves or plants that mostly live in shade.

At least that's been my observation in the destert climate of s. calif.

Cool San, I'll be sure to keep the leaves dry and keep em in the sun. Thanks for your insight.

Back