• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any AZ chile pepper growers out there?

I would love for some people who live in az to chime in on how they grow hot chiles out in az. ANy help would be great as far as what you do with you peppers in the middle of the summer and how they do hear overall.

I'm from Michigan, but I've been to Arizona 3 times and LOVED it. :) I scoured all the plant nurseries in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and other places and smuggled home some Pequins in my luggage. lol. Fond memories.

I don't know of any "active" members from Arizona...but then again, I have been mistaken before...

and by the way...Welcome to the forum from Fort Worth

Howdy from up in the Prescott area. I really am a non poster at heart but we sure do love to grow our habs and green chilies. The biggest issues we have up here is too much sun and lack of rain. We get around the sun with shade cloth (60%) from the last of June to mid July. The water issue is a big one for us due to being solar powered home and garden. We mulch and mulch some more for good measure To the tune of say 4 inches. Being down in the valley I would think your season would now be underway. If that is the case We wish you a great growing and harvesting year.
Jim

cool jb...I forgot about you my friend...glad another arizonan is responding...

Thanks for welcoming me guys. I figure i can get some of the naga's and bhut's to pod up before the end of may and then i will bring them in. I get plenty of sun- at least 7 hrs of straight az sun during day which should be fine and then in the middle to end of sept i will put them back out and get a bunch of fruit this fall. I think i should be able to get them to fruit during the summer inside as well. We shall see.

allenstu said:
Thanks for welcoming me guys. I figure i can get some of the naga's and bhut's to pod up before the end of may and then i will bring them in. I get plenty of sun- at least 7 hrs of straight az sun during day which should be fine and then in the middle to end of sept i will put them back out and get a bunch of fruit this fall. I think i should be able to get them to fruit during the summer inside as well. We shall see.

When did you plant your seeds Allen?...I wish you luck on getting Bhuts and Nagas before June...I had very poor luck with getting any of the superhots to fruit before the end of the summer...

My plants were started back in dec. Hoping for the best. One of the bhuts already is trying to flower- thinking about nipping those off for a little longer to get some more growth.

what information are you looking for Allen?...I live in Fort Worth and have a pretty hot summer here too...

What do you temps get up to in july and aug on average? I am guessing over 95 where the pollen goes sterile and you don't get any fruit til after sept correct? Do you then give them pretty much all shade in the afternoon since its around 100 then?

95 would be a cool day in July and August....lots of 100+ days...from what I have read, it is the night time lows that impact pollen viability...above 80 and fruit set drops dramatically...this is what happened to me this past July and August, but in September when the weather cooled, I had some huge harvests...

I did not shade them last year because of the number of plants I had in containers, but this year, I will put up some shade cloth...I am expecting a scorcher of a summer since we had a very mild winter here...

just looked at the farmers almanac and they are predicting temperatures for June-August to be 3 degrees above average and rain to be about 2 inches below average...it also says you guys out in Az are going to have about normal temps and precip...

Shade cloth in the 60% range and heavy mulch. Our lack of humidity
is also helped with the mulch. We well every so often water the straw down. Our plants are watered with drip lines under the mulch. This works great for the chilies. The tomatoes on the other hand are much more picky.

Well it is looking more and more like i will have to wait out the summer before the fruit of my labor. Hopefully by bringing them in when the heat really hits in June i can get some chiles in july or aug. We'll see!

Back