• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any bee keepers in here?

Would be interested in reading your thoughts, tips, and anything important about raising bees. Photos would be awesome.  

I'm a beekeeper, it's a rough job, colony collapse disorder, varroa mites, pesticides, all kinds of problems. One big tip I can give you is to try and start your bees from local nukes and queens, not ordering them from elsewhere. I don't think any beekeeper really knows everything about what's going on with the bees, it's an ongoing learning experience for sure, start small, good luck, any specific questions p.m. me and I'll try to answer them. If there is a local bee group in your city join it. Make sure and leave a super of honey on each hive for the winter and spring so starving won't be an issue. We all should be concerned about what's going on with the bees, our future depends on it---

I made some carpenter bee hives in the garden last year.  Had a few take up residence.  We've been interested in getting a hive; more for pollination and to help out than honey production.  But one of the neighbors is allergic to bee stings, so I don't feel comfortable bringing in a hive.   

Ive wanted to get into a Top Bar Hive, supposed to be better.
SmokenFire, theirs going to be bees no mater what so the neighbors going to to alwasy be carefull, also how many people have actualy been stung, unless their stupid. Ive been stung 3 times in my life and all from Wasps, walked right by a bush full of bees, the whole bush was humming, never had one come near me, even tried taking pictures of some up close.

http://www.backyardhive.com/

my nectarine tree is in full bloom with well over a hundred bees on it daily. I go right up to them real close and they act as if I'm not ever there. I've been thinking about a small hive myself. My yard attracts allot of bees every year and this year should be the best with all the new trees, berries,flowers etc.........

dragonsfire said:
SmokenFire, theirs going to be bees no mater what so the neighbors going to to alwasy be carefull, also how many people have actualy been stung, unless their stupid. Ive been stung 3 times in my life and all from Wasps, walked right by a bush full of bees, the whole bush was humming, never had one come near me, even tried taking pictures of some up close.

that looks interesting, thanks for the link

A bee nuke or nucleus is like a smallish hive. You get a queen and 3 to 5 frames of bees in a small box. You then transfer all this into your hive body with usually contains 10 to 12 frames on which the queen lays her eggs, hopefully, and they begin some honey production. As things progress, you add another box full of empty frames on top of that, then you will add a smaller box with frames which is called a honey super. Hopefully the hive will be strong and they will fill the super full of honey. You will have better success with local bees.

fiogga said:
A bee nuke or nucleus is like a smallish hive. You get a queen and 3 to 5 frames of bees in a small box. You then transfer all this into your hive body with usually contains 10 to 12 frames on which the queen lays her eggs, hopefully, and they begin some honey production. As things progress, you add another box full of empty frames on top of that, then you will add a smaller box with frames which is called a honey super. Hopefully the hive will be strong and they will fill the super full of honey. You will have better success with local bees.

what do you mean by local bees though? the ones with the furry ass? bumble bees?

i thought those were no good for honey.

are you talking about local honey bees farmed by other bee keepers in your area?are there honey bee breeds suited for specific areas like pigs or what ever? 

dragonsfire said:

there are bushes along my fence in the back yard. its full of these bumble bees in the spring and summer.  FULL of them. the flowers are microscopic too. idk how they make a meal out of those tiny ass flowers.

wasps are shit beasts. the red ones atleast. 
i got one under my shirt when i was replacing soffit/fasica framing... it stung me in the same spot like 3 or more times. the stung area was only like the size of a BB, but it pussed over and sunk in like someone scooped out a tiny chunk of flesh... and the ITCH...god damn that was annoying. 

A friend of mine started beekeeping this past year. Everything was going according to plan until this past fall when a bear destroyed the whole works. He plans to start over this year, with the addition of an electric fence...

Good luck. It seems like a cool hobby. 

I can't imagine what kind of electric fence will keep a bear out! They have really thick fur and even thicker skulls.
     I bet that bear had fun in that dude's honey buffet!

thanks for the feedback guys. fiogga made an important point about the bee population collapse. i never knew how deep of an impact they had until years ago when it became more public. do you think its pesticides?

I have 2 top bar hives.  The hives are easy to build and were free from scraps.  I started with $125 LOCAL package of bees, a cheap smoker and a hooded pull over jacket.  Less than $200 invested.  The first hive swarmed so I captured them and built the second one.  THEY HAVE NEVER been treated for any diseases or parasites.  I have been lucky I guess but they have made it through winter again this year thus far.  The main problem I see with failure is buying bees from the south and stealing all there honey.  They don't survive winter which is why it's best to find local bees to start.  They also transfer parasites and diseases when you ship them all over the country.  Most conventional beeks steal all their honey and then feed them sugar which lacks what they need. 

Here is a good forum for some reading
http://www.beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?254-Top-Bar-Hive-Forum

Here is some more reading
http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

Here are plans for TBH
http://www.wasatchbeekeepers.com/top-bar-hive-plans-david-bench/

Here is the package of bees ready to go in the TBH

I don't go into the hive much unless comb gets crooked which is one of the drawbacks of TBH's

I learned everything off forums and you tube in a couple weeks.  From there it's just learning from experience. Just my 2 cents and I'm certainly more lucky than expert.

Thanks everyone for sharing. I never really thought about it until I was at the local hardware store and saw a new section with bee equipment  and gear.  

Back