• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

any computer experts here?

My laptop is an hp pavillion dv 6000 shes a year old..I took off vista and put on xp..I have already changed the power supply once
My battery wasnt charging any more so I took it out. Had partition problems so I redid the whole machine..all of the sudden the battery is charging and works...remember this not an os problem but im still equally confused....To me it doesnt make sence not one bit..any enlightment to this would be great

After almost 25 years of programming and experiencing almost every problem a computer can have, I've read your explanation of what you did and experienced and after contemplating all of the possible variables and thinking deeply about all of the issues involved, I've come to the conclusion that it was broke and now it isn't.

Good work!

NatGreenMeds said:
After almost 25 years of programming and experiencing almost every problem a computer can have, I've read your explanation of what you did and experienced and after contemplating all of the possible variables and thinking deeply about all of the issues involved, I've come to the conclusion that it was broke and now it isn't.

Good work!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so true!!!!!!!!1

I dont get it and I dont understand my buddy told me I need an os to get the battery to charge I was told dos isnt enough...is this right?? im like a newbie when it comes to laptops

Canuk Pepperhead said:
I dont get it and I dont understand my buddy told me I need an os to get the battery to charge I was told dos isnt enough...is this right?? im like a newbie when it comes to laptops

Pardon?

Your buddy told you that you need an OS to charge your battery? That's incorrect.

You were using DOS? OMG. So what did you do with your laptop? DOS is useless ;)

When you re-installed you likely got rid of spyware and shit that was running in the background at full tilt, eating up all your CPU and keeping your hard drive spinning at all times, draining your battery significantly faster then it should have. Re-installing fixed all that, until you get infested again.

Oh and your CD-ROM shouldn't eat up any power unless it's in use....

Novacastrian said:
My computer has vista...sometimes i contimplate suicide too.
I feel for you, man.

lostmind said:
You were using DOS? OMG. So what did you do with your laptop? DOS is useless ;)
HEY! I had alot of fun with DOS in the 80's!!!! "dir/w" was one of my most useful commands!

When I was working as a helpdesk pleb, out favourite was PEBKAC, as in, "Oh yes sir, thats difinitely a pebkac problem, luckily you called us, to fix it..."
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

In your case, I would go with either the spyware gitting booted to devnull, and/or the ACPI components getting reset and powering things down as needed.

Vista is good & stable (once you can get it to install properly) It is very very resource hungry though, particularly with RAM. Don't try it with anything less than 2 GB RAM preferably 4 GB (32-bit vers. will only register 3 GB).
Vista also runs a lot of background stuff like file & driver backups, checks, etc. so if you only turn your laptop on every few days its going to be running flat out on catch-up for a while.

XP is still stable & great for laptops but dont expect that to last - they'll stop offering updates one day & it will just get buggier.

I'm looking forward to what Google & Sun Micro. will come out with in the next year or two...thinking it could be the end of MS

lostmind said:
When you re-installed you likely got rid of spyware and shit that was running in the background at full tilt, eating up all your CPU and keeping your hard drive spinning at all times, draining your battery significantly faster then it should have. Re-installing fixed all that, until you get infested again.

Oh and your CD-ROM shouldn't eat up any power unless it's in use....

Thelaptop in question never had any malware,spyware,virus or trojans on it I keep my computers squeeky clean and when I refer to dos in this case its the prompt before the os..Mind you dos 3.0(or was it 2.0) was cool too I still have the floppys somewhere..As for the cd rom it doesnt work properly so its been pulled...Remember like anything else plugged into a motherboard if there is a short or it is malfunctioning it can effect the rest of the computer for the fact its while its plugged in its a part of the motherboard.....In the end the battery wasnt charging at all..Thought it was the power supply or battery but after pulling the cd rom and re-installing os it suddenly works..I just found it really odd

Back