• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any growers in KS?

WichitaChief said:

I'm thinking:

A credit card charge might be rough when the wife sees it but it will be much easier to explain than 'why are the plants being dug up and brought upstairs?' in the fall,  :rolleyes:  

you are probably correct. Mine just rolls her eyes any more and shakes her head. 

Your Shishito plant is getting some good looking peppers on it. We are drooling waiting to sample them! I know. I know. Pictures or it didn't happen. 

Well things are heating up! Lots of blooms/pods dropping this week with the heat and sun finally returning! 

First superhot pod growing is from one of your 7-pot burgandy plants!

My two shishitos have been going wild, here was my dinner tonight, great accompaniment to a left over slice of pizza. Also a good looking fatalii pod.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 58
Damn Spicy you're my hero!! Nice looking plants all around! And yummy!!!! All my plans are showing the effects of such a lousy May. But, most are starting to produce (even at a small size plant) and are getting new growth. There may be hope yet.

WichitaChief said:
Damn Spicy you're my hero!! Nice looking plants all around! 

Back at ya. Here is a few of your babies all grown up. Couldn't get em all in a shot (7BBG and Yellow Brain are out of frame right).  First pod of yours to drop is the 7-pot burgandy. You can just see the pod centered on the middle plant on the right. New 6' X 2' cedar bed hiding in the back. 

wichgard.JPG

WichitaChief said:
All my plans are showing the effects of such a lousy May.

Yes sir! Horrible start, especially for the supers.  They have finally come out and exploded the last 10 days or so. Still too much rain though, more on the way I hear too.  As soon as they get adjusted to all this excessive rainfall we will hit the summer drought and it'll shock em' again I am sure.  

midwestchilehead said:
Welcome, pwnguin! How is your soggy garden doing so far?

it's my first grow! I'm opting for indoors, my seedlings are all still tiny. I got a homemade light array pushing about 10k lumens out right now. got another 6 strains germinating as we speak. gonna do exclusively indoors, I think.

http://imgur.com/3nrkXfy

Heck all the rain is bad enough but even worse this old man can't keep up with the weeds....the one positive the sand spurs are having a horrible time....they hate all the rain as bad as my bhuts. Lol

Been a good week of no rain and hot, sunny days here. Peppers are all dropping even the supers. Reaper from WichitaChief looking mean already. My two shishitos are going wild along with the Jamaican Mushrooms. I think we'll have some tacos for dinner tomorrow with some of the fresh peno's and j-mushrooms in a pico. Side dish, shishitos :) Hope ya'll have had a good week in your gardens too!
image.jpg

Let the sunshine in....feels good to go back to watering without help. Haven't got a ripe pepper yet(plenty green ones on) still everything else is doing great.....lettuce, carrots,tomatoes,onions,and garlic....finally got a good start on the Zimbabwe bird peppers...thinking I just might make one a pet over winter (pretty little peppers)..might have to make them my favorites over Texas bird peppers. I'm finally making head way pulling weeds and collecting wild flower seeds off my flower beds.

I was all ready to post some pictures of my progress of a month ago but for some reason it won't allow me to use the image extension whatever that is. Is Flickr not an allowed hosting place? Photobucket to me was a bucket. A bucket of crap! I'm trying to use an alternate but no bueno it appears.

We go from cool and wet to blistering hot as we usually do around here. Between the hail, the rain and my delays it's surprising that I have anything growing. 

Final tally: 234 plants in the ground. I need to count how many superhot vs "kitchen" use peppers that mortals can handle. I noticed I've lost a plant or two to possibly a tomato borer? There is a hole in the stem and later the plant broke off and fell over slightly above the hole and the stem is hollow in that area. I seem to find that is a borer doing the deed. Not much defense against them as I read. Grrrr! A few others have some scald on the upper sides of some larger bells. Otherwise not to bad though. My plants got out so late they appear shrimpy and have large peppers touching the ground on some Italian bull horn varieties. I couldn't bear to pull the fruit and let the plant stay in grow only mode. I cranked up the time on the irrigation so hopefully they are just right now. I'll have to dig down this weekend and check to see if they are. I noticed my yearly grasshopper plague straight out of biblical times trying to start up. Usually I ignore them as they don't denude my peppers just everything else. This year I'm taking the plague to them!! Ha Ha Ha!!! Bastards!!!! I've spread some bait out which kills only them and crickets. Here's what I've read:

Nolo Bait for grasshopper control contains the pathogenic protozoan Nosema locustae which is an important insecticide used and labeled as a control of 58 grasshopper species and the Mormon cricket. It will also suppress the black field cricket and a species of pygmy locust. It affects no other living creatures.
N. locustae is a disease-carrying spore which must be ingested by the target organism. To promote ingestion, N. locustae spores are mixed with a flaky wheat bran which grasshoppers find irresistible — more so, in fact, than the protected crop. The mixture consists of approximately 1 billion microscopic spores per pound of bran.
Once ingested, N. locustae spores breakdown as soon as they reach the grasshopper’s midgut. When the spores break down, the disease, through the normal processes of nutrient absorption, enter the grasshopper’s circulatory, excretory, and reproductive functions. The grasshopper’s disfigurement and/or death will ensue.
50% of the grasshoppers who ingest this tainted bran will die from the disease. The other 50% will pass the disease on to subsequent generations; they, too, will be infected and either pass the infection on or die. 100% of those which consume the bran will become infected, and thus show a marked reduction in feeding.
Another way N. locustae is effective through the grasshopper’s willingness to partake in cannibalism — which further spreads the disease.

Of course the 'ol lady suggested chickens after numerous visits to Atwoods and hearing the future KFC warriors "peep, peep, peeping" away in the pens at the back of the store. I informed her that since when it's as cold out as a "Life Below Zero " episode I would be the schmuck feeding, cleaning,watering the darlings.  No bueno. Although brown farm eggs are the schizo. Luckily we know folks who raise them for eggs. 
   I'm dying to try some of the new variety's in the ground this year. We've already fiended out on shishitos we got from SpicyMon and informed him he may be responsible for yet another addiction we suffer from. LOL! Hope everyones crop is doing well (but not so well as to make me want to fire up the tiller any day now and get ready for next year. Jus sayin.......................)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131272633@N05/18810173331

This was about a month ago.

Everybody doing okay out there?  :shocked:  Been quiet around here...  :scared:

The super pods are finally starting to ripen here.  Yellow Brain Strain, Caramel Moruga, and the Reaper, all starter plants from WichitaChief.

pepcombo.JPG

We're getting some cooler nights now maybe kick up the ripening process. Collected seeds off everything but the Bhuts. Only had one bhut strain (bhut X da Neyde) that did well in all this rain. Had a great year with marigolds and red Greek poppies and most of my wildflowers. What a beautiful August we've had so far.

robbyjoe01 said:
We're getting some cooler nights now maybe kick up the ripening process. Collected seeds off everything but the Bhuts. Only had one bhut strain (bhut X da Neyde) that did well in all this rain. Had a great year with marigolds and red Greek poppies and most of my wildflowers. What a beautiful August we've had so far.

Had a great year with the marigolds too :P , my laziness to remove dead buds last year made for a bunch of rogue marigold plants popping up everywhere.  They have become bushes now.

Grow year will definitely go down as one of the weirder ones as of late, certainly weather-wise.  Re-reading this thread I laugh at the rain totals we were having late spring/early summer.  Been really, really dry here for nearly a month or more.  Took a decent yield this year but not nearly to the excess of peppers as last year. Just jarred some superhots in vinegar/cider vinegar mix with some home grown garlic, gonna have some nice hot pepper vinegar this winter! We had a light frost this morning and the beds are looking pretty rough from it.  Have two plants still in pots that I'm bringing in and out of the garage for the night.

How'd everyones year go?

jarpep.JPG

... the remaining ghost pepper! (Chocolate Scotch Bonnet)

ghostpep.JPG

Breakout the sun tan lotion for a week here. Got almost 80 today . Got lots done outside so far this week while my babies wait inside for late March(probably 25th-27th). Hope everyone else is taking advantage of warm weather in Feb.

Wish I didn't have to work on nice days like this. Even though it is going to cool down next week, I'm going to fire up the greenhouse this weekend and see if I can't get some plants going. Given my dismal germination rates so far this season, I'm going to need all the help I can get!

midwestchilehead said:
Wish I didn't have to work on nice days like this.

Yes sir! This final hour is dragging by...

... but seeing this thread back on the front page has me all  :dance:

Sowed seeds this past weekend, two weeks later than usual.  That bullshit May plant out weather last year had me second guessing my start time this year. Which probably means we will warm up really early and I'll be behind schedule... good ol' Kansas! ;)  

Back