• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any ideas on this thing

This little guy is a Caramel Bih Jolokia from Chris (cmpman). Now I planted 4 seeds and 3 sprouted but this one is definitely an odd one. I know I didn't get any seeds mixed up or anything because I planted them straight from the bag Chris sent them to me in. I don't know if it is a disease or fungus or just some insane hybrid. I've never seen anything like it before. In case you can't tell the cotyledons are fused together at the tip, and they are white. Also the stem is deep purple. I'm at a lost lol. Any ideas would be appreciated. Here's the pictures, the one is just so you can see how white the cotys really are.

Definitely have repotted it and plan on growing it out.

Not sure what it is, but it's definitely not a pepper. For some reason, though, I'm thinking eggplant. Probably I'm wrong about that, but that is a remarkably purple stem.

.... and I suggest you ask Chris what he thinks!

Chief-Wiggum-Guatemalan-Insanity-Pepper-Top-Chef-0904_40.jpg

Love that episode ^
It's pretty crazy looking in person. I just hope it makes it to adulthood. I'm doing my best to baby it along

cmpman1974 said:
I have an idea! :)   I believe it's a pepper!

Chris
A pepper, huh. What type? I've had no annuums, chinenses, pubescens, or baccatums come out looking like that. :think:  Of course, I haven't seen everything......

I know I read up somewhere where a seedling is born with yellow cotyledons and it's said to be "chlorophyll free mutant" and that it'll eventually die and it did.

I hope yours survive and keep us posted.

-Walt

geeme said:
A pepper, huh. What type? I've had no annuums, chinenses, pubescens, or baccatums come out looking like that. :think:  Of course, I haven't seen everything......

Chris has an idea based on what his caramel bih were planted next to.....they were planted next to Pimenta Tiger so we'll see I guess

Nothing odd about it. Looks like it will not grow true though. I think it will turn out to be purple (plant and purpling on chiles). Sometimes young ones will have pale cotyledons at first.

willard3 said:
There is a section called "Pepper ID"......probably better posted there.
I believe the mods are quite competent. If one of them felt that it needed to be moved, I have no doubt that one of them would have moved it by now.

Thanks for your input. If I were to change the title to "look at this crazy plant" would that make you feel better?

Willard, just because you don't see us doing our job, doesn't mean we aren't. We do a pretty good job of moderating from the shadows so you don't have to see/deal with it. Furthermore, this tread is fine where it is. OP isn't looking for an ID, he's sharing what he though to be an interesting looking seedling. Chill out.

What a vivid purple, great pics coheed

scratchzilla said:
Willard, just because you don't see us doing our job, doesn't mean we aren't. We do a pretty good job of moderating from the shadows so you don't have to see/deal with it. Furthermore, this tread is fine where it is. OP isn't looking for an ID, he's sharing what he though to be an interesting looking seedling. Chill out.

Well said

Back