• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any THP'ers in Iowa?

Looking for some THP'ers in/around Des Moines or with a little knowledge of the area. I know there are forums for researching this sort of thing- which I've been checking out, but I appreciate the sort of folks that lurk around here and would like to connect with someone who wouldn't mind giving me the down low.

My company is sending the boss man here out there, and a couple of us are going to tag along, The money is as good as what we make here, and looks like it would go a little further out there. Might go temporarily or bring the family out- looking for info on neighborhoods, etc. Looking for at least a three bedroom house, maybe with a fenced yard(?), something with a little privacy and space. Will fly out in a few weeks to scout it out and would like to have some specific areas in mind.

Would appreciate any helpful input anyone is willing to give, or drop me a PM, I can give you a call or something whenever is good for you... Thanks!

Leavin San Diego in 28 days, gonna work this six month contract in Iowa... just in time for winter! Got a couple friends rollin into Des Moines with me now, we'll see how that goes...

That's right you're not from Texas but Texas wants you anyways.

??? Texas wants me? Ain't no way imma drivin into Texas with California plates on my truck... Lemme go to Iowa and finish my job first. Then I'll be in Texas in like six months. I'll bring some corn...

I'm not from Iowa, but a state below and to the left. It should be nice when you arrive and maybe for a month or so thereafter, but come November, you will be wishing you were back in San Diego! I've never felt cold like I have in Iowa. My family is from the Marshalltown area, so I spent all my childhood vacations there.

Leavin San Diego in 28 days, gonna work this six month contract in Iowa... just in time for winter! Got a couple friends rollin into Des Moines with me now, we'll see how that goes...

Not From Des Moines but live up north of Waterloo,Ia..... I have a Brother that lives in Clive a burb on the west side of Des Moines... Nice place to raise a family..

Grew up in Des Moines and still have family there so I get back quite often. You're money is going to go much further there than Cali believe me. The house I currently live in, a 'burb of Omaha, sold for $130,000 13 years ago would have cost me almost a cool million in most of California. Des Moines is pretty much the same. A 2500 sq ft house less than ten years old will run you $175,000 to $250,000 depending upon location. The west part of town is the fastest growing and will have some of the pricier homes. South side has areas that are nice as does the East side. The area I wouldn't want to raise any kids in would be the north side, where I grew up. Older part of town and a large portion of the population probably lives close to the poverty line.

Good region of the states to grow a family. Crime is low, economy hasn't been hit too hard by the "recession", taxes are affordable. I can think of a few nicer places to live but I would be happy there. My only issue is with the weather. Two to three months during the winter it's too damn cold to do anything outside and two months of the summer it's too damn hot to do anything outside. Same thing here in Nebraska. I'm hoping I have a year left here and then I'm gone................................!

Best of luck to ya.

Hi from a neighbor to the north, we're about 34 miles from Spirit Lake, IA which is the northwest area of the state. Guess I have to agree with most of the comments on winters but still a good place to live. Des Moines is almost to the zone 5 imaginary line so might be a bit warmer than the northern part of the state, not so you would notice it a lot. After CA you will definitely enjoy the midwest IMO but I've been here most of my life.

Thanks for the input all, good place to raise a fam seems to come up quite a bit about Des Moines and the area... westside anyway... sounds good, think I found a house in the Beaverdale (NW) part of town. We'll see, winter is gonna be an adventure for most of the family- I ain't really seen snow since I was a kid myself.... If I wanna, already looking at an option to transfer to Louisville, KY after Des Moines and have a chance of transferring back to SD in a year if we can't hang somewhere else.

Patrick, where you looking at going in a year? You going AZ???

Thanks Nova! Gonna need it w/ all my kids, gonna do a road trip half way across the country with em and my wife, all our stuff is gonna take off a bit earlier. Might be fun.

Back